Old School Brewing In Germany

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzafish

Reaction score
Just looking at youtube and found this old ditty... 1930's brewing in Germany. Enjoy

Love their chiller!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great!
the open fermentation vats are cool. Very. Did I see a 6Deg C ferment temp?

BOG

Loved it!

Yes, I took an interested note of the 6C as well.
BB

Check out the guy shoveling the malt into the mill with a cigarette in his mouth.

I'm assuming that's a decoction mash they are doing.

And yes the chiller is a great idea. Why don't we still do something like that? Easy to clean and puts oxygen in the wort.

BOG

Great simple way to show their de-coction mashing with temps and times

Its fermenting because the CO2 puts the candle out :lol: Love it

Could probably go to far and assume the recipe is pretty simple SMASH style

Kleiny

Good old one grain, one hop brews! Wouldnt like to fall in the hole that the grain goes down. What do you reckon was in the bath of liquid the barrel got dunked in as it came off the line?
Cheers
Steve

Amazing that any AG home brewer can follow this movie with total understanding. It illustrates just how ancient brewing is because many of the terms have come down to both languages virtually the same, I picked a couple up even though I don't know more than a bit of year 9 German from yonks ago:

Treber = trub
wurtze = wort
hopfenseiher - 'hop sieve' = hopback

Love those old wooden barrels and the spile hole/bung hole arrangement. I saw them in use in Austria in the late 70s but all gone now I guess.

I reckon I will have to check out the brewery of a mate of my dads when I get back to Germany. Pretty sure they still do very old school brewing. My grandpa used to go there and get the trub to feed it to the pigs some 60 odd years ago.

How many guys do you recon went through the mill after falling through the hole?

How many guys do you recon went through the mill after falling through the hole?

I'd say the hole was just too small for a person - or they at least put some metal pipes so someone couldn't fall through...

Was that whole barrel in water part just an air tight test?

I love the Overmeister at the end in the Bottling plant, making sure none of the workers take home a roadie.

Back