Old S189 Swiss Lager yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
Brewing folk,

Warning children do not try this at home....

Two weeks ago I purchased a German Pilsner wort kit from Bacchus Brewing in an attempt to rekindle my passion for all things brewing. Anyway the time came to pitch yeast as I had cooled the wort kit down to 12C. I rummaged through my yeast fridge only to find my supply of S189 from Craft Brewer had a best before date of October 2011. Anyway throwing caution to the wind & going against popular theory I rehydrated 4 x 12g yeast sachets & pitched.

My apprehension gave way to joy when 12 hours later a bubbling airlock & thick krausen greeted me. Anyhow after 2 weeks I had gravity down to 1.012 & a sample revealed the completion of fermentation so I racked into a keg for a month or so of lagering.

It would appear that storing dried yeast in a air vac sachet in a cold fridge may extend its shelf life..

Cheers

Paul

Pretty well 4 fold when stored cold. The best before date is based on 20c storage.

Cheers Ross

$73 for 20L of German Pils ingredients.

$66.65 for 20L of German Pilsner brewed under the Reinheitsgebot in Oettingen at Dans Murphys shipped across the world and heavily taxed under Australian laws.

Something wrong here. :D

Drinking it out of a keg with your mates served by a topless waitress, whilst Aust get flogged at Lords ...........................priceless...

You could argue the yeast had no cost.

mikec said:
You could argue the yeast had no cost.
You could. Although I'm sure that approach doesn't work with the ATO.

I shop lifted it........................ :p

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Back