Old Nut Case Brown Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Im reading the book radical brewing and have seen a recipe im very interested in brewing on pg 93

65% mild ale malt
12% Buiscut/Amber
4% Brown ale malt

OG 1.067

for 19liters

the percentages don't add up to 100% so im guessing there has been a mistake made? Anyone who has this book have you figured out what the recipe is supposed to be? Either he has got the 65% mild wrong or it need's more malt somewhere?

Cheers

Gav

Im reading the book radical brewing and have seen a recipe im very interested in brewing on pg 93

65% mild ale malt
12% Buiscut/Amber
4% Brown ale malt

OG 1.067

for 19liters

the percentages don't add up to 100% so im guessing there has been a mistake made? Anyone who has this book have you figured out what the recipe is supposed to be? Either he has got the 65% mild wrong or it need's more malt somewhere?

Cheers

Gav

Heaps of mistakes in that book Gav, from memory there is a site with corrections somewhere out there.
Here it is Radical brewing errata

Actually here's the corrected recipe
Old Nut Case Brown Ale all-grain recipe percentages should be: 65% mild ale malt; 31% biscuit/amber; 4% brown ale malt.

31% Biscuit/Amber :blink: and I thought 12% was high.

Old Nut Case Brown Ale all-grain recipe percentages should be: 65% mild ale malt; 31% biscuit/amber; 4% brown ale malt.

Yeah I know that is a lot of Amber/biscuit!! Should be interesting anyway. Might just make a single batch of this on just in case

I've already got the Mild malt & usually make my own Amber & Brown so thinking about giving this a go instead of the planned Barclay Perkins 1942 XX Mild?
Perhaps Ross could add Thomas Fawcett Mild Malt to his Bulk Grain Buy List if there's enough interest?

TP

+1 would love a mild malt option in the CB BB's....

Cheers!

Sorry to go OT.

What do you guys get from mild malt that is different from using regular pale?

Sorry to go OT.

What do you guys get from mild malt that is different from using regular pale?

Produces a sweeter and slightly darker wort really nice grain.

I've already got the Mild malt & usually make my own Amber & Brown so thinking about giving this a go instead of the planned Barclay Perkins 1942 XX Mild?
Perhaps Ross could add Thomas Fawcett Mild Malt to his Bulk Grain Buy List if there's enough interest?

TP

Great idea Pete! I only have 5kg of mild so i'll only do a small batch and use Fuggles for hopping. Damn now I have to get the small malt pipe ha!

TP

My information is that TF Mild is already obtainable via the CraftBrewer Grain Bulk Buy Link? It's just that the link doesn't show it? :huh:
Perhaps Ross can confirm? :)

TP

Been double checking this recipe and it says to mash at 69 degrees. I'll be using 1968 ESB. Question. If I mash so high with this yeast with a starting OG of 1.067 im assuming ill only attenuate to about 69-70% which will leave my FG at 1.020, is this going to be to sweet or out of balance? The yeast recommended is WLP002 English ale.
Cheers

Gav

Back