Old Malleys Boilers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott70

Reaction score
I scored a couple of old malley boilers on the weekend which I have cleaned up and I plan to put new taps on them and use one as a mlt and one as a boiler ( if it heats up enough). I already have a 30L birko. The elements still work and i gave them a quick boil with some scalex and they came up fairly clean. The drums are stainless steel and the element gaurds are copper, they have aluminium lids .
I'm looking for some advice on making a mainifold or false bottom seeing the drain hole is in the middle of the drum and it sits below the element.
here are some pics............

I'd be interested on hearing if this works and is suitable for brewing. I have an old one of these at home, with lid.

Have not tested to see if it works.

Seth :p

Edited due to misspelling

Dane,

It looks like we are still on Daylight Saving Time re posting time recorded on this forum.

Please investigate...

Ta

Seth

Weizguy said:
Dane,

It looks like we are still on Daylight Saving Time re posting time recorded on this forum.

Please investigate...

Ta

Seth
[post="52780"][/post]​

You have to set your time zone in your profile. Go to My Controls etc etc.

Beers,
Doc

I used one of these or something similar for quite a while as a boiler. The element was stuffed so we took out the element, blocked up the holes and direct fired it.

The tap was soldered on with lead solder which melted. Mmmmmm, now we all rib Chiller about his aluminium boiler, but who talks about lead?

And the drain pipe clogged up with crystalised wort.

So the drain pipe was removed and the hole plugged. Set up a siphon to drain the boiler and all worked great for many brews, till the brewery upsized and I noew have a bigger boiler with a tap welded into the side.

Watch out for faulty wiring, these things are getting old, have the electrical side checked out. Faulty wiring and water are a fatal mix.

Scotty

I have exactly the same - i just put a ball valve directly conected on the side.
Use a nut and tail with a bent pick up tube - and u r right.

Hope this helps

A central pickup in the boiler is a PITA. After you whirlpool, all the trub sits neatly over the top of it.
To use as a mash tun should be good as you have a means of direct heating. The only thing you have to do is use a grant to occasionally draw the liquor off the element whilst you are heating and return it to the mash. A full screen false bottom will also have to be fitted but then you will have a good mash tun that can be used for step mashes. It is also very easy to tweak your mash temps.

Thanks for all the info. I had them checked out by an electrician and they are fine and had heavy duty plugs put on the cords. ( As cat weasel used to say " ooooowww electikity")
I did a test boil with 50 litres from 18 degree water and they got to a rolling boil within an hour. If i'm adding water at around 65-70 from the mash then i think they will be fairly quick. All i need now is a 16 inch false bottom so i can have one as a MLT. I tried northern brewers but the biggest they have is 15 inches. I might have to get one made up. any suggestions?

Give these things a month or two and I'll be happy to make up this stuff for who ever needs it

Batz

thanks Batz.
If you can make me one it would be ideal. I'm not in a hurry. I'm just getting all my mash stuff set up over the next 2 months and i'm not going into a full mash until i get all the gear. :beer:

Cheers Scott
Will be a while till I make my move then set up my workshop , but hope then to make a few AG bits for brewers on this site.

Batz

Batz said:
Cheers Scott
Will be a while till I make my move then set up my workshop , but hope then to make a few AG bits for brewers on this site.

Batz
[post="53195"][/post]​

so we can look forward to to you getting....

Benterprises up and running :rolleyes: :super: :ph34r:

People,

I may have wasted your time, as mine apears to be a "Wemco" boiler. It also does have a centre outlet, aluminium lid with vent holes, aluminium dome with holes in the middle of the bottom, and possibly an aluminium bowl.

Is it worth consideration?

Seth (awaiting smart@leck response)

Batz said:
Cheers Scott

Batz
[post="53195"][/post]​
WOOHOO! :super:

Weizguy said:
People,

I may have wasted your time, as mine apears to be a "Wemco" boiler. It also does have a centre outlet, aluminium lid with vent holes, aluminium dome with holes in the middle of the bottom, and possibly an aluminium bowl.

[post="53349"][/post]​

If u talkto chiller - he brews in aluminium pots - so i dont see any problem with the aluminium.....

But it is your call.....

Weizguy said:
People,

[post="53349"][/post]​

Weizguy, sounds a lot like the boiler on my system, but the pot is S/S - If you are in any doubt, try to scratch it with the edge of a coin - if it scratches it's Ally, if it doesn't it's S/S - & by the way, it works great...

Regarding these,
There is one on ebay for sale at the moment. Question has ben asked regarding the metal of the boiler. Apparently according to them its galvanised steel. I've never seen these around before. Are they all supposed to have SS boilers or where there different makes with different metlas etc?
I should add this is a Metters brand one.
cheers
johnno

johnno said:
Regarding these,
There is one on ebay for sale at the moment. Question has ben asked regarding the metal of the boiler. Apparently according to them its galvanised steel. I've never seen these around before. Are they all supposed to have SS boilers or where there different makes with different metlas etc?
cheers
johnno
[post="53388"][/post]​

I guess they may have been made both ways - Gal steel is easy to recognise as lacks the polish of S/S & if any doubt just check with a magnet (S/S non-magnetic)...

Ross said:
johnno said:
Regarding these,
cheers
johnno
[post="53388"][/post]​

I guess they may have been made both ways - Gal steel is easy to recognise as lacks the polish of S/S & if any doubt just check with a magnet (S/S non-magnetic)...
[post="53395"][/post]​

cheers,
Thanks Ross.

johnno

Back