Old fermenter - usable?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincleanoff

Kings Cross Brewery
Reaction score
I have a 60L fermenter, that has been sitting for almost a year with the dreggs on the last brew in it.

Time to throw out? Or would a week of bleaching get rid of any nasties completely?

Just treat the dregs as a yeast starter and put the next brew straight onto it.

is anything growing in it? or possibly grown, matured and moved out, got married and has 3 children of it's own?

I would almost certainly try a clean it and use it, put everything you can lay your hands on through it, Nappisan / Perc / Metasillicate / bleach / boiling water /

dust off and nuke it from orbit

I'd be disappointed if you didn't re-use given your handle ;)

if you've got a pool - rinse out fermenter chuck it in the pool - fill it and put on the step then dump a cup full of chlorine in it. Leave it for a few days - dump the water back in the pool then napisan the shit out of it. LG
cheers
BBB

Cost of new fermenter vs cost of cleaning products and a double batch if it goes wrong? Then you will still be up for a fermenter.
I'd chuck it same as if a cube has had an infection.

Fill it to the brim and add 3 caps of napisan. It'll be fine.

Replace the tap.

I reckon I've cleaned worse. Hot water and your chosen percarbonate based cleaner, use a soft cloth and be patient. Roll the hot solution around on the gunk till it comes off easy.

Gryphon Brewing said:
If it was a restaurant I wouldnt eat at it :icon_drool2: unless it was all you cant eat for FREE.
You cant be that skint or desperate ?
Nev
I've seen your brew dungeon Nev ....... :icon_vomit:
BBB

Yob said:
is anything growing in it? or possibly grown, matured and moved out, got married and has 3 children of it's own?

I would almost certainly try a clean it and use it, put everything you can lay your hands on through it, Nappisan / Perc / Metasillicate / bleach / boiling water /

dust off and nuke it from orbit
It's the only way to be sure.

Back