Old Brewing Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacehulk

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have come across an old beer brewing recipe from the early 1900s, and everything is nicely laid out in the brew book.
The main problem I have is I don't know what the grains, hops and yeast of that time are called now?

Who used to supply the breweries back then?

for example the grains are:
BB
Pale
LCL
LC
BC
Bek ir Bck can't really make it out

and

Yeast
125 no 81

and

Hops 170 Jas / 19 or Tas /19

any help would be appreciated
cheers
Tony

What country/state/county was the book used to brew in, and is it possible to photograph or scan the page in question, since that might also help answer your questions?

I think you should put that book back on the shelf, judging by the info given :D

First post in 5 years...?

Impressive indeed.

EDIT: But as wolfy said, a little more info and/or a scanned picture would definitely help, as there are a few brewers on here who have tried to make several olden brews before and may have some idea of whats going on.

First post in 5 years...?

Impressive indeed.

nothing wrong with being shy :D

atleast he's not carpet bombing every thread imagineable like some other examples over the years. They usually implode after 6months never to be heard of again.

im thinking "speedie", 'fasty73", "yasmani" etc.... :lol:

88_2.jpg
nothing wrong with being shy :D

atleast he's not carpet bombing every thread imagineable like some other examples over the years. They usually implode after 6months never to be heard of again.

im thinking "speedie", 'fasty73", "yasmani" etc.... :lol:

yeah I've been lurking for quite awhile.... Havent really had anything to contribute or ask till now, if you search hard enough you might find answers..

Ok I'll attach one of the brew log pages....

What country/state/county was the book used to brew in, and is it possible to photograph or scan the page in question, since that might also help answer your questions?

Aust / Vic / gippsland

Treasure,

is the whole book like that?

that's seriously cool. If the whole book is like page, and it was able to be fully decoded, how awesome would it be to spend a lifetime going from start to finish and brew every recipe.

Judging by the way it is written and the type of documentation (seems to be quite meticulous), it certainly looks like whoever wrote it, knows their shit anyway.

Awesome find, hope you can get someone to help with deciphering it!

Nath

Wow, looks great.

You have all the mash temperatures and times in there.

For the malts, the bottom one is 'Black' malt, which is easy to get now. Did Barrett Burston malt at the turn of the last century? If so the top one would be their base malt.

Is there any mention of hops in there?

Can't seem to spot anything that looks to me like a reference to hopping.

Am I guessing right that this might be Brew No. 88 in the book? I know I used to make really detailed notes until I got my head around what I was doing and now use my own shorthand - could there be more details you're chasing earlier in the book?

Regardless of what comes of it - pretty cool find.

Kev

EDIT - Misread Hops as Tops! :icon_drunk:

Any chance the BC could be Bramling Cross??

You could go through a list like CB's and discount the hops that are hybrids developed since the book was written. Then try and match abreviations with those left. Just a thought.

Maybe see if their earlier recipes are a bit more longhand like kevo said.

Also, there was a thread not that long ago about a brewery in melbourne (Thunder Road?!...) that has laid their hands on ancient commercial recipes and the owner likes to collect beer nostalgia, might be worth looking them up.

Back