Old Beer Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtona

Reaction score
Hi
I was walking out the back of my mates shearing shed and a little way down the creek came across an old rubbish dump that had been uncovered from rain. Sticking out of the soil was a few beer bottles, some in complete state others smashed. A couple are dated 1942, most had dirt and other rubbish in them.
Could these bottles be cleaned up to use for a brew or would they be too weathered?
Thanks

Doubt whether the inside would have any damage, is it just for the novelty you want to use the old bottles? Soak in a sodium perborate or percarbonate that should get them shiny and bright.

Doubt whether the inside would have any damage, is it just for the novelty you want to use the old bottles? Soak in a sodium perborate or percarbonate that should get them shiny and bright.
I'm thinking of using them.
It's going to take a lot of cleaning.

Old rubbish dumps are where you can find valuable items and these isolated are some of the best the bottles may not be worth a fortune but if you find enough plus there are other bottles that can be worth real money.

Back