Old Ale too sweet?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Dog

Beer
Reaction score
I have an Old Ale in an FV currently sitting at 1.024 from 1.078. Yeast is WLP002 so pretty much at the top end if it's published attenuation range

Prior experience with WLP002 led me to expect 75% or slightly more attenuation so closer to 1.018

The yeast seems to have done its thing and the beer is a touch on the sweet side. I don't want to play with hop teas to up the bitterness, dilute or anything else as everything else is absolutely fine and just about where I want it.

So do I simply keg and condition for 6 months plus or chuck a different yeast at it to try to take it down a few points? I'm strongly leaning to the 1st option but wondered if anyone had any good reason to go with the 2nd option or even something else

If you're game brett will help you out. Otherwise try to rouse and warm up and hope. You could try the wyeast high gravity ale.

Recipe???

I recently had same problem. Decided to throw some lager dregs into keg after kegging the lager. Haven't tasted yet but couldn't wait. Wanted it ready for Christmas

Fast ferment test and simultaneously gently rack with an active starter of more fresh yeast. If that doesn't work,
maybe take a sample, try a small starter of a high alc tolerant yeast like 1388 and see if you can get it lower without altering the flavour too much.

If it works, do the whole batch.

I've successfully used 1388 to do this with a high alc, stalled brew but it was a belgian dark strong so any additional flavours were appropriate.

Chuck Belle Saison at it and dry the ******* right out. ;)

Could you put a bit more yeast in? I have no idea if that's a good idea or not.....might bring the SG down a bit.

wait this is an old ale.

Did you add treacle or molasses like many recipes suggest?

Either way I would leave it for > 1 year.

The old ale that I have right now went from 1.080 and finished at 1.023. With wyeast 1028. I don't have my notes in front of me but it was approx 66IBUs. Also used a can of black treacle. It was about 12 months old and took and scored a 1st place in sabsosa 2014. But as it ages and the hops drop off it'll get sweeter though. If it's done, I wouldn't worry about it. Put it away and enjoy on a cold rainy day.

Markbeer said:
wait this is an old ale.
Did you add treacle or molasses like many recipes suggest?
Either way I would leave it for > 1 year.
Nope, all grain recipe.

The plan now it to just leave well enough alone, keg and leave it for a period of time and then bottle to age. I'll taste before deciding when to bottle. I'm thinking the sweetness will settle into figs and dates flavours with a port like mouth feel, offset by the marmalade bitterness coming from the hops and a fair old whack of fairly complex esters. Here's hoping anyhow

6tri6ple6 said:
The old ale that I have right now went from 1.080 and finished at 1.023. With wyeast 1028. I don't have my notes in front of me but it was approx 66IBUs. Also used a can of black treacle. It was about 12 months old and took and scored a 1st place in sabsosa 2014. But as it ages and the hops drop off it'll get sweeter though. If it's done, I wouldn't worry about it. Put it away and enjoy on a cold rainy day.
Congrats.

I steered away from treacle as I wanted to play with a bunch of crystal malts to get the flavours I was looking for. Even now it's tasting great, but a tad sweeter than I was looking for. Reckon time will either clear that up or I'll try Manticles idea in a few months time

manticle said:
Fast ferment test and simultaneously gently rack with an active starter of more fresh yeast. If that doesn't work,
maybe take a sample, try a small starter of a high alc tolerant yeast like 1388 and see if you can get it lower without altering the flavour too much.
If it works, do the whole batch.
I've successfully used 1388 to do this with a high alc, stalled brew but it was a belgian dark strong so any additional flavours were appropriate.
Sounds like a great idea. For now I think I'll let it age and revisit in a few months tine if it still on the sweet side

Back