Old 20l Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
I can source about 8 x 20L cubes for $7 each. However, they have all had some liquid detergent in them or other domestic soaps but look to be in good condition.

Will napisan chew through the soap residue and clean these up so I can store wort in them or do you think I will be better off not worrying about them?

If you don't think napisan will do the job then is there a cheap alternative that will?

Starsan seems to be really good at removing soap residues and surfactants as is vinegar and bicarb solution.

Your cubes, your risk though - I'm not offering any guarantees.

You could get 1, rinse thoroughly with the above, rinse again then fill with hot water, run some off and taste the water. If the water tastes like water then the cube is probably ok and you could do the same for the rest.

I find it surprising that someone is actually selling used cubes though. They should be sold new and clean or be free.

I can source about 8 x 20L cubes for $7 each. However, they have all had some liquid detergent in them or other domestic soaps but look to be in good condition.

Will napisan chew through the soap residue and clean these up so I can store wort in them or do you think I will be better off not worrying about them?

If you don't think napisan will do the job then is there a cheap alternative that will?

7$ seems expensive for old soap cubes to me ;)

Thanks guys... they are at the local recycle centre here. I think I'll go there and offer $5 for one and do what Manticle suggests and if they don't give it to me for $5 then they can shove it.

Cheers

I guess in Tasmania, even a man's poo is worth something... Big city dwellers don't seem to realise the odd ways people in small towns make money.

I pay $5.00 for 25lt cubes and 20lt ones are $4.00, they once contained juice concentrate. I think I would be skeptical to them being food grade if they contained soaps.

batz

I've bought & used cubes that have contained unscented liquid detergent & they've worked fine. You'll need to rinse them with a decent splash of hot water about 20 times to get all the foamyness out, then PBW/starsan them & you'll be fine. PBW/boiling water with a chux dishcloth in the cube works for any interior marks that don't want to come off.

I was given a 25L cube which originally contained shampoo.

Tried everything, but cant get rid of that smell.

That reminds me, recycling bins go out tonight, must get rid of that stinky thing.

Back