Oktober Long Brew Weekend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
This weekend is long weekend, which means NO excuses for getting a few brews down an to start stocking up for summer and Xmas.

So who is brewing what this weekend ?

I'll be doing a Smoked Dunkelweizen and an Imperial Pilsner.

Beers,
Doc

I've booked for a brew session before the visit to the inlaws, for a Belgian Wit to chase last weekends effort. Last brew seesion was 6 hours, hence the booking.

Hoping to put down an ESB on one day and perhaps an APA for a work do. After that the brewery will be at capacity with about 100L in kegs &/or fermenters.

Then I just sit back and depleat the stocks :p

Good Day
Aim to brew a Bohemian Pilsner and a Munich Helles. Under the house is still 12-14oC and I should be able to get away with it by using my favourite WLP San Fran yeast. Will still be hoping for cooler conditions. After this it gets into the in-between season for us brewers without extra fridges. That is, too warm for lagers and too cool for ales. I am thinking of using the San Fran for a steam beer and an APA. Then it might be time to use WLP001 to make some BBQ 'lagers" for summer.
All the best, Barry

Sounds good, Barry! I have a steam beer finishing up downstairs. I used the SF lager and fermented at 17C for 8 days before racking. Man it tasted good from the hydrometer tube! Are you going down the strict Anchor Steam recipe, ie pale ale malts, all NB hops? Unfortunately with my new kegging system up and running, I have no room in the fridge to CC/lager. Time to buy a new fridge..... :D

- Snow

After this it gets into the in-between season for us brewers without extra fridges

Sounds like koelsch season.....
Asher for now

Going away for a wedding so obviously I can't brew :angry:

On the positive side free West End draught all night Saturday :unsure: !!

To make up for it I will be brewing a 70/- on Wednesday after work with a friend.
Trying to encourage him to get back into brewing. :)

C&B
TDA

Even though its not a long weekend in Melb. I will be making another APA part mash.
I just love that Wyeast 1056.

cheers

Having just got my hands on some 30Kg of grain I got the next few weeks planned out. Last week was a Chimay Cinq Cent Syle beer, the long weekend will be a Weizen followed by an Aventinus Weizenbock the week after. Raspberry Beer for the missus in early november.

BTW The Coopers Vintage 2004 is a beauty!

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
To make up for it I will be brewing a 70/- on Wednesday after work with a friend.
Trying to encourage him to get back into brewing. :)
If that's our mutual friend, and fellow Scotsman, try and be persuasive!!

First Sunday of the month is all grain brew day generally for me, this week should see the Devil in the Kilt (belgian strong ale with 1728 yeast )

I've got my ESB or AnthonyMac's IPA for the Xmas case to do. Will probably watch the GF re-re-re-replay again too.

Long weekend is followed by a week with the house to myself so I am gonna brew my box off. Making a second batch of Skunk Steam (an APA brewed with calif lager yeast), as tasted at the Perth get together on the weekend, bottled the weekend before, but already quite nice. JW Trad minimash, DME, caramalt, amarillo, cascade, Wyeast 2112.

Then something big and scary with the trappist high gravity yeast Goat gave me. Might search around for some recipes but so far I'm thinking of

3kg DME
1.5kg liquid wheat malt
1kg dex
maybe a small mash of a kg or two if I'm feeling energetic
maybe a touch of chocolate or crystal malt
a can of black cherries? (hmmm not sure)
bittered with NB
flavoured with tettnanger or similar
any comments on this "recipe"welcomed...

Good day
I'm still thinking about the steam beer. Thinking pale, some munich, crystal with NB hops. Might add 10+ gms of cascade in the boil as well as the NB for a bit of complexity. I never been totally happy with my attempts at steam beer. They can be a bit harsh with all that NB (ie the ones I've made). It is always fun to try again. Yours sounds good, any secrets?
All the best, Barry.

Barry,

this is my recipe for the steam. I put it together from Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beers:

2.5kg Pale Ale Malt
300g Crystal malt 60L
600g pale DME
1kg Pale LME
15g Northern Brewer pellets (10.2%AA) 75 mins
15g Northern Brewer pellets (10.2%AA) 35 mins
10g Northern Brewer pellets (10.2%AA) 15 mins
9g Northern Brewer pellets (10.2%AA) dry hop in secondary
1/2 tsp gypsum at start of boil.
1 tsp Irish Moss - 15 mins
2.5L starter Whitelabs San Fransisco Lager Yeast

Mashed in at 54C for 30 mins. Stepped up to 65C for 60 mins.

I'll let you know how it turns out when it's kegged.

Cheers - Snow

Hi all
I am planning to brew on Saturday as the Dragon Lady and I will be doing a market on Sunday at Berry and one on Monday at Kiama.
The Saturday beers

1. Rauchbier
OG 1.064
IBU 30
SRM 17
I intend to ferment this beer with an Oktoberfest yeast and ferment at 12C for 2 weeks, Then lager for 4 weeks. Should be interesting can post both the recipe if any wants to look at it.

2. Imperial Rye IPA
OG 1.077
IBU 80
SRM 14
Yeast WLP028 Edinburgh Ale

Have the yeast in starters and away we go
Ray

Hi Ray

How much rauchmalz, and is the amount based on experience of using it or is the smokiness factor unknown? Thinking of doing a smoked beer of some sort and dont want to end up with something that is undrinkable for ages.

i had heard some stories about too much rauchmalz overpowering the brew, and so i just put down an 80/- with a measly 20grams out of a 4kg bill. Hopefully i will perceive a hint of smokiness.

Hi
I have used 30% smoked malt in a light beer and it was very nice. This is a different beer and why not. I have know idea how it will turn out but I like the idea of a big smoked lager.

Here is the recipe and I like the look of it.

Rauchbier Lager

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

22-A Smoked Flavored/Wood Aged, Classic Rauchbier

Min OG: 1.050 Max OG: 1.056
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 14 Max Clr: 26 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 19.00 Wort Size (L): 19.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.24
Anticipated OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.75
Anticipated SRM: 17.0
Anticipated IBU: 29.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
48.1 3.00 kg. Weyermann Smoked Germany 1.037 2
30.5 1.90 kg. Vienna Malt England 1.035 4
8.0 0.50 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 10
4.8 0.30 kg. Weyermann Caramunich II Germany 1.035 63
3.5 0.22 kg. Weyermann Caraaroma Germany 1.034 178
3.5 0.22 kg. Weyermann Carahell Germany 1.035 13
1.7 0.10 kg. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 4.00 21.5 60 min.
13.00 g. Hallertauer Tradition Pellet 3.00 4.0 30 min.
13.00 g. Spalter Select Pellet 4.50 3.9 15 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.86 Unit(s)Whirflock Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP820 Octoberfest - Marzen

im supervising my father do his forst all grain an apa

Plus i love rauch beer and i have a recipe for about 20 % rauch malt that i will post later and it did very well in the sabossa comp and will see how it goes in the nationals

deebee said:
Long weekend is followed by a week with the house to myself so I am gonna brew my box off. Making a second batch of Skunk Steam (an APA brewed with calif lager yeast), as tasted at the Perth get together on the weekend, bottled the weekend before, but already quite nice. JW Trad minimash, DME, caramalt, amarillo, cascade, Wyeast 2112.

Then something big and scary with the trappist high gravity yeast Goat gave me. Might search around for some recipes but so far I'm thinking of

3kg DME
1.5kg liquid wheat malt
1kg dex
maybe a small mash of a kg or two if I'm feeling energetic
maybe a touch of chocolate or crystal malt
a can of black cherries? (hmmm not sure)
bittered with NB
flavoured with tettnanger or similar
any comments on this "recipe"welcomed...
deebee,

I guess you are using Wyeast 3787 ?
I've used this yeast a few times and she is a beaut. In fact I found two old starters from two years ago in the yeast fridge last night. Made up a starter solution for them to see if they were still alive and they are kicking in already (better than the new hefeweizen yeast they are sitting next too).
But back to your recipe. Not sure about the cherries, but dump the chocolate and crystal malts and use 500gr of Billingtons Dark Muscovado Sugar.

Beers,
Doc

Back