Oils, No Krausen?.. Headless Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stiftung

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am brewing a 27L batch of Orange-IPA at the moment using BRY-97 Ale Yeast, 4.5Kg of Briess Sparkling Amber Malt, 1Kg Caramelised sugar, 1Lt Orange Juice, 133g Orange Zest, 200g of Amarillo, 100g of Azacca, 15ml of natural vanilla extract, and a couple of other things from the garden to dry hop with.

I started hopping at the second half hour of the boil in ten minute intervals, adding the juice and zest with the final boil hops, then added a fresh 50g of Amarillo at flame out. I left all the hops and zest in whilst it cooled in an ice bath. I had to go out to dinner at this stage so that sat for a couple of hours before I was able to get it into the fermenter.

I'm nearing 5 days fermenting, it started a bit slow but took off in the last 48hrs chugging every 2.5 seconds as of this morning & gravity down to 1.048 from 1.062OG as of last night (4 days)

There is all but no krausen! I am assuming that this is because of the extra oils from the orange? It smells and tastes great though! No off flavours that I could notice.

If I don't end up with any krausen, is this likely to mean I'll have headless beer? I mean if it tastes good it shouldn't matter too much, I can tell already that it isn't going to be short on aroma head or no head, but I would still like some off white bubbles on my brew!

Maybe I could try upping the carbonation volume to counter it?

Latest posts

Back