Oil in New Butterfly Valves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippy

Reaction score
So I was finally getting around to changing over the valves on my 100l conical to butterfly valves , when noticing what looks like a bit of of oil around the valve seals. Looks like oil from the machining of the components.
I've taken them apart and washed in mild detergent but was wondering if anyone had any advice on whether I should soak them in something as well.
I'm planning on a double batch of lager tomorrow and don't really want it to taste like oil.
Cheers Hippy.

I had the same problem with the Chinese butterfly valves and had to toss the first brew I made on the new rig due to the taint.

After that I degreased them properly and the problem went away. I used an aggressive commercial degreaser, rinsed it off with hot water and followed that with a soak in hot water / dish detergent and another hot water rinse.

If you can smell anything, do it again.

Last edited:
No worries thanks.
Yeah these are Chinese valves.
I always thoroughly check the Chinese stuff first. Mind you that was after learning my lesson from losing a batch as well.

Back