Oil For March Pump : Source?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm just getting back into brewing after a *cough* brief pause in brewery production. Dusted off the ol' March pump and thought I'd give it a bit of a once over. The maintenance guide states that with standard usage patterns it should be oiled with an SAE20 non-detergent type oil.

Done a heap of searching both on here and google but can only come up with Yank brands of oil of that spec. Following advice that was in an existing post on a US forum I went to a Hardware store that sold compressors looking for compressor oil as it's supposed to be similar but no luck.

What oils are people using for their March pumps. Am tempted to just put a few drops of the Castrol Handy Oil in (the one you buy for door hinges). I figure it wouldn't have any detergents but no idea what SAE rating it'd be.

Any help on product type and source?

Cheers

Boots

Boots
I have an old car that has to have non detergent oil...
A trip to a Motor Bike Shop..(Harley Davidson )....Should sought you out....
Pennzoil ???? Something like that...Anyone..???
Cheers
PJ

Thanks Poppa Joe - there's a Harley workshop on the way into work so might drop in on the way past tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

sewing machine oil should do the job. if not too far away you you can use some of mine. ;)

Most modern automotive lubricants have detergents. This helps with controlling deposit formations in the combustion chamber and sludging/varnishing in the crankcase. Diesel engine oils have the most detergents (due to new anti-emission regulations), followed by petrol engine oils and then turnbine oils etc... What you want is just a plain old gear oil, compressor crankcase oil or even a hydraulic oil

SAE 20 equates to about 68 cSt at 40C. So for the few little drops you are using, a good old ISO 68 compressor or hydraulic oil would get you out of trouble. Maybe even something like a chain and bar oil...

A little anal about your oils Boots,, I know I Know Oils aint oils , but hell its just a little drop.. up here in the tropics I need too oil mine about every 2 months or it starts to make a bit more noise than normal ,, I just put a few drops of what ever is on hand ,, last week it was two stroke boat oil ..

a syringe is handy as trying to get a couple of drops in the hole can make a bit of a mess ..

cheers

A little anal about your oils Boots

More ignorant than anal :) Because it hasn't been run in about 4 years I didn't want to go putting the wrong stuff in.

Thanks for the tips all - I have some chain oil for the chainsaw which based on the above will get a run through.

Cheers
Boots

More ignorant than anal :) Because it hasn't been run in about 4 years I didn't want to go putting the wrong stuff in.

Thanks for the tips all - I have some chain oil for the chainsaw which based on the above will get a run through.

Cheers
Boots
I too have a March Pump that I bought not so long ago and was wondering about the oil.
Castrol TQF auto transmission fluid equates to SAE20 oil apparently and should be availble from autObarn.
I also own a performance motorcycle and I think the spec on some of the Fork oil is SAE20, but I need to chase it up.
Will keep you posted.

Hi all
I have a march pump model 957-001-01, it has no oiling holes. Are these meant to be pulled apart for oiling?
Anybody else got one like this, how do you oil them?
Thanks
arthur

So wha'ts the verdict on sewing machine oil then??

It depends what sewing machine oil it is.... Some of the Singer household oils are only about 20 cSt, some of their industrial grades go up to 100 cSt... Again, for the few drops you are putting in, it's probably going to be ok; it's not like the bearings are that loaded that they are reaching boundary lubrication conditions.

When I first got my pump, I pulled it to bits and put a dab of Polyurea grease in each bearing with a base oil viscosity of 100 cSt. It's the same grease you will find in most 'sealed for life' bearings or electric motors, with intention of not having to worry about it again.

When I first got my pump, I pulled it to bits and put a dab of Polyurea grease in each bearing with a base oil viscosity of 100 cSt. It's the same grease you will find in most 'sealed for life' bearings or electric motors, with intention of not having to worry about it again.

Nice to know. :super:

I'm going to remember that one for sure.

I spoke to Process Pumps - the March pump distributor.
Its OK to put sewing machine oil in them.

yeah that's what I was recommended, domestic sewing machine oil.

That said, I like schooeys approach a bit better :p

Back