Oh It's All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohitsbrad

Reaction score
Monday my friend and I did our first all grain brew and I feel inclined to share the experience. Been putting together equipment over the last few months. Did a lot of research on AHB and many ideas for bits and pieces have come from everyone here. It was a big relief that it all worked.

The recipe:
Decided on a forgiving American pale ale
88% BB ale malt
8% Weyermann munich I
4% Weyermann caramunich I
Mash at 67deg. Sparge at 75deg.
OG 1.058
Assumed 70% efficiency
60min boil
24L boil volume - ended up with about 27L.
19L batch size - ended up with about 22L, but hit 1.058 OG spot on. Guess my efficiency was better than 70%?

Cascade, Amarillo and Simcoe at 20mins and 5mins for approx. 42 IBUs. Dryhop with 60g or so.

2 x US-05 dry yeast. Fermenting at 19 deg for two weeks before bottling.

My hot liquor tun:
It's a 25 litre bucket with tap and lid from TWOC. I drilled holes for the element and the temperature probe, and insulated it with expansion jointing from Bunnings.
IMG_0679.jpgIMG_0678.jpg

Heating 18 litres of mash water with a 2200 W element controlled by a Mashmate temperature controller (DEI-106):
IMG_0680.jpgIMG_0682.jpg

My mash tun:
36 litre esky from BCF. Fitted a 450mm long stainless steel braid and half inch brass valve, and a weldless bi-metal thermometer. Fittings were from around home and Bunnings. Found leaks at both holes when I was pre-heating. Added some softer washers and made sure not to over tighten and was fine.
IMG_0697.jpgIMG_0704.jpg

Mashing in:
Ending up mashing in with about 20 litres of water since I had to add some boiling to get the mash temp up to 67deg. This yielded 15 or 16 litres into the pot.
IMG_0683.jpgIMG_0681.jpg

Recirculating at the end of the mash:
Used the "no tier method". Don't have a stand so much as a table, so I sit the mash tun on the ground when mashing in and sparging, and then lift the mash tun onto the table when draining.
IMG_0684.jpg

Draining:
IMG_0686.jpgIMG_0685.jpg

Sparged with about 12 litres but unfortunately only hit about 70deg.

Batch sparge done and brew pot 27 litres full:
I have a 4 ring burner from BCF which I bought for about $50.
IMG_0687.jpg

Used a 500 micron hop sock. Forgot to add whirlfloc! Oh well. Cooled with an immersion chiller. I used a 350 L/h 900mm head Waterwerks submersible pump in a bucket of iced water to pump through the chiller and out into another bucket. Took about 40mins to get down to 24 deg on a 40 deg plus day. Guess thats ok. The pump was from Bunnings for $15 or $20.

Aeration:
I aerate with an aquarium pump, sterile filters and air stone.
IMG_0688.jpg

Yeast added and fermenter into the fridge at 19 deg. Fridge is controlled by a Fridgemate.
IMG_0689.jpgIMG_0708.jpg

There we go! I just hope next time it takes less than 8 hours! And of course that it tastes that much better for my efforts. Thanks brendanos for the inspiration, AndrewQLD for the great info on batch sparging, and suppliers at TWOC, Craftbrewer and Mashmaster.

Great set up Ohitsbrad ,

No stopping you now !!

nice to see plenty of pics in a post .

You make it so easy .

Does your Keep Cold mash tun seal OK ?

Pumpy :)

Thanks Pumpy. After I noticed the leaks on the outlet and temp probe I changed to an unusual combination of washers, including the soft rubber washer that comes with the esky, but then had no leaks at all.

Great set up Ohitsbrad ,

No stopping you now !!

nice to see plenty of pics in a post .

You make it so easy .

Does your Keep Cold mash tun seal OK ?

Pumpy :)

Congrats on the first all grain.

I am in a simular position to you and have been collecting gear for my setup over the past 3 - 4 months.

I plan on a mid January first AG brew.

You will have to keep us informed of how your APA turns out.

Nird99

nird99, please update your profile to advise of your location. There may be local help available.

Mods
, can we please pin this post and/or add it to the wiki as "Anatomy of a First Mash" or something else which sounds highly dramatic. :icon_chickcheers:

big ups to brad-oh. :beerbang:
Les the Seth :p

Great effort mate,hit your og .Oh, and with a good volume.

I like the gear for your first AG.Looks like a tasty drop as well.

I think I can see kegs in your future ;)

Congrats on the 1st of many AG beers - nice post and excellent setup!

Cheers,
TL

Welcome to the darkside Ohitsbrad (& mate) :super:

Looks like things went pretty smoothly & with the temperature controled fridge the results should be awesome...

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back