Oh Happy Day!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing_Brad

Reaction score
Hi all,

Today is a really REALLY good day!

After being back in the country for 2 months and spending so much time getting "life" back in order, I FINALLY got my brew kit out of storage!

It's all a bit dusty, but I have everything I need to lay down my first batch - well, except the ingredients! I'm gonna head off to the LHBS and pick up a kit this week (I'm gonna stick with a kit for now until I can find a decent sized pot to go BIAB).

I have no idea what I'm gonna make, but the mere fact that I'm a day or two away from brewing again has me all giddy like a school girl and I just had to share with someone who understands. (HWMBO just looks at me like I'm a freak because I keep patting the fermenter like it's a pet or a child).

Cheers
Brad

:icon_chickcheers: :party:

Hi all,

After being back in the country for 2 months and spending so much time getting "life" back in order, I FINALLY got my brew kit out of storage!

It's all a bit dusty, but I have everything I need to lay down my first batch - well, except the ingredients! I'm gonna head off to the LHBS and pick up a kit this week (I'm gonna stick with a kit for now until I can find a decent sized pot to go BIAB).

I have no idea what I'm gonna make, but the mere fact that I'm a day or two away from brewing again has me all giddy like a school girl and I just had to share with someone who understands. (HWMBO just looks at me like I'm a freak because I keep patting the fermenter like it's a pet or a child).

Cheers
Brad

:icon_chickcheers: :party:

Well done Brad go with a Fresh wort at least it will be real beer :)

pumpy

Well done Brad go with a Fresh wort at least it will be real beer :)

pumpy

Fresh wort, you say. Not a bad idea (after I had to google what it was). Does your average homebrew shop stock these?

I FINALLY got my brew kit out of storage!

Cheers
Brad

Crank_it_Up.gif

Fresh wort, you say. Not a bad idea (after I had to google what it was). Does your average homebrew shop stock these?

They sure do in Melbourne check out the sponsors Grain & Grape you have been away a long time Brad ;)

Try telling him that!

You don't tell your fermenter. Your fermenter tells you.

.............Unless you meant your partner in which case, make a nice spot in the middle of the lounge room with comfy cushions or beanbags and give the fermenter a warm place by the telly.

One day you'll come home late at night and your partner will be curled up asleep next to the fermenter with his ear on the side, listening and dreaming of fermenting beer.

They sure do in Melbourne check out the sponsors Grain & Grape you have been away a long time Brad ;)

I know! So much to catch up on!

You don't tell your fermenter. Your fermenter tells you.

.............Unless you meant your partner in which case, make a nice spot in the middle of the lounge room with comfy cushions or beanbags and give the fermenter a warm place by the telly.

One day you'll come home late at night and your partner will be curled up asleep next to the fermenter with his ear on the side, listening and dreaming of fermenting beer.

Hahaha! I'm gonna try that, but luckily for me he's just a big of a piss head as I am, so I reckon once he starts tasting what comes out of the fermenter, he'll understand.

manticle said:
Your fermenter is a pet.

I woke up infront of the TV last night with my demijohn full of starter curled up in my lap...

It had a big krausen on it so something must have gone well.

I woke up infront of the TV last night with my demijohn full of starter curled up in my lap...

It had a big krausen on it so something must have gone well.

:icon_chickcheers:

I may need to borrow some of that starter, Felten, because I've decided what I'm gonna put down as my first batch. From memory, it's packs a whoppin' punch!

Uncle Arthur's Famous Falling Over Water.

* Munich Lager Goo (Brewcraft)
* 1.5 kg Light Dry Malt
* 2kg Glucose
* 10g Finishing Hops (Fugglesv pellets)
* Muntons Gold yeast.

The OG should be roughly 1086 and finishes around 1016 (approx 10.9%) When bottling use 1/2 the usual bottling sugar.

According to my notes, last time I made it (back in 2006) the OG came in at 1092 and finished at 1010. I added a chilli to a couple of the bottles and after a few months it tasted flippin' fantastic!

I reckon that'll be a good welcome back to brewing. :kooi:

Brad

Brad .... exciting times ... and yes SWMBO never really gets it !! mine didnt until I cracked out a rice beer with **** all Hops in it ... and now she loves it !! So O/S ? where you been ???

I havent been O/S in years ... itchy feet ... must get away again soon .. damn work .. they should send me O/S all the time !! Bastards .... lol

So O/S ? where you been ???

Spent the last 2 years in Canada - 9 months in Vancouver, the rest in Montral. It was a blast, but I tell ya, SO glad to be home again! What was it Dorothy said? "There's no place like home" :)

1st brew-day in over 4 years was a success! (Well, the process of getting the stuff into the bucket was a success, whether or not the end product is a success still has to be seen).

Also, HWMBO was right there with me helping out and asking all the right questions! I may make a brewer out of him yet!

75148_495525948828_646173828_7116150_4772895_n.jpg

You'll also note from the picture (which I tried to be all artsy fartsy) I got myself a decent sized pot (15.5L). It was the biggest they had at K-Mart, but I reckon it's enough to start BIAB. Next payday, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Back