Oh Bugger! Spilt Beer...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
In my keg fridge I can fit 2 kegs in the front and behind these on the part that sticks out of the fridge (compressor/motor??) anyway you know what I mean, I keep a cube here for cold conditoning...

ANYWAY, I was removnig one of the kegs to gas it up and disaster struck... The cube fell, knocked the tap off the cube and beer starts flowing out over the floor of the fridge. I catch it in time and have only lost about 3 litres however my concerns are the following:

1. Have I oxidised this? Yes the cube was shaken up..

2. Has the last 3 weeks of CC be ruined by the yeast trub getting mixed up into the brew again.

HELPI really hope I have not wasted the last 6 weeks (2 primary - 1 secondary - 3 CC) to kill the brew right at the end like this.

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER :( :angry: :(

sluggerdog said:
HELPI really hope I have not wasted the last 6 weeks (2 primary - 1 secondary - 3 CC) to kill the brew right at the end like this.

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER :( :angry: :(
[post="59119"][/post]​

Hmmm... not good. :( But also not the end of the world.

Best thing to do would be to put it into a spare keg (providing you've got one). At least then you can put a bit of head pressure on it and drink it in the immediate future.

If you've lost 3 litres your cube will probably have too much headspace to keep the beer in any longer than a couple of days. Shouldn't be oxidized at the moment because the beer would only have been shaken up in a Co2 environment inside the cube.

If it were me I'd accept the cloudiness and keg it. At least you can pour residual lees out in the first pint. Err on the side of damage control. Most of the gunk at the bottom will settle pretty quickly in the cube as well.

Warren -

Thanks Warren, I will transfer it to a spare keg now, once I have filled the headspace with C02 I can then continue to 'Cold Condition' it in the keg correct...?

i don't see why it couldn't be transferred to another cube & allowed to settle - pretty easy to squirt some CO2 into the cube - I can't see the headspace being a problem...

Ross,

Unless the cube is of a lesser volume I can't see the reason for it ??

Slugger,

Yes you could cold condition, however if it's been maturing for a few weeks already. I'd just go ahead and force carbonate it. Ready for drinking really. You did stipulate that it's six weeks old. Yes?

Set your mind at rest and stick it into a keg.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Ross,

Unless the cube is of a lesser volume I can't see the reason for it ??

Slugger,

Yes you could cold condition, however if it's been maturing for a few weeks already. I'd just go ahead and force carbonate it. Ready for drinking really. You did stipulate that it's six weeks old. Yes?

Set your mind at rest and stick it into a keg.

Warren -
[post="59150"][/post]​

Warren,

It was the comment that the beer wouldn't last more than a couple of days in the cube, that I was reffering to. If he was just about ready to keg anyway, then yes keg it = but if he was wanting a longer lagering period, or really wanted it clear before kegging, then i see no problem in purging the cube with CO2 & lagering for a longer period - thats all :beer:

Going by what Slugger had said the beer is 6 weeks old.

About as ready as it's ever going to be for drinking.

If it were me I'd say... down the hatch. :chug:

Warren -

I catch it in time and have only lost about 3 litres

Lucky you!

Coincidentally my brewing horror story happened on Saturday - decided to rack my newly brewed Coopers Pale to another fermenter for a bit of secondary.

Set it all up and started the pour.

Decided to iron a shirt while the keg was filling. Came back to see that the second fermenter (one of those translucent ones) was nowhere near as full as I expected. Why??

Because I'D LEFT THE BLOODY TAP OPEN!!! About 12 litres of beer all over the kitchen floor!

Bugger!

PB :angry: :angry: :angry:

should never walk away from a brew
murphy will punish you :p everytime

Back