Og Too High?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmoose

Reaction score
Hi guys, just cooked up my first partial mash (American styled Pale Ale) and I got an OG of 1100. It's my first time not using a kit but i know this seems too high. I chucked the yeast in 3 days ago and my Grav reading is now 1080.
I've still got some room in my fermenter; should I dilute it with water?

Cheers!

Did you follow the direction to top up with water to 19L?

Im guessing there is some malt in and around your tap that wasnt completely mixed...

Something is going wrong here.

3kg of DLME doesn't have enough extract potential to get 19L of 1.100 wort.

Did you mix the water in thoroughly? If you didn't mix it properly and were taking hydrometer samples through the bottom tap, it might have a higher concentration of sugar.

Cheers tiprya - when i poured the water in I made sure it sloshed around but that probably wasn't enough.
I'll take a reading, mix it up then take another reading to see if there is any substantial difference.

Thanks for the help everyone!

How'd you go drmoose? Was that the issue?

Was only able to do the mixing today - uni work always seems to get in the way!

Mixed it all up well but it only changed the gravity reading by 5 (1060 down to 1055). I let the tap run a little before taking the second reading so i wouldn't use some of the unmixed liquid stuck in the tap.

Anyway that probably means the OG was about 1085 (very rough guess).

What do you guys think I should do next?

It's been six days since you pitched the yeast and your still at a gravity where you would expect to have started?

What do you guys think I should do next?

I would start with getting a new hydrometer

QldKev

Cheers QldKev - I'll definitely invest in a new one before the next batch.

I had a little sip of it after mixing, it tasted bitter but not overly sweet so i'm not too worried :)

Thanks again for the help

You can check it in plain water

Distilled water should be 1.000
Tap water a bit over

QldKev

Yeah i checked that and the tap water was just under 1000 but figured all the other points are off target.

Back