Og Reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppysbarandgrill

Reaction score
Hey to all,

This is what puzzles me. I have brewed about 20 different beers,ciders and all and im confused as to when i take the og reading. I dont use coopers blends but they say in writing to take a reading before pitching the yeast and from what ive heard this is the norm i think. I have written to them and they have told me it makes no differance if i take the og reaing after i pitch the yeast. My lhbs chap says the same to take the reading after i pitch yeast. Does it really matter and if so why.

Cheers Hopper

Doesn't matter, the yeast hasn't started fermenting for a while after pitching it. Just be mindful that if not thoroughly mixed you can get a false reading from some goo undissolved at the bottom of the fermentor. I reccomend adding fermentables and top up to 5-7L then putting the top on and giving it a violent swirl to aerate and fully dissolve the wort before finally topping up to 19-23L.

I take my og reading before i pitch, i dont like taking any yeast out of the fermenter before it has done its work.

I guess that will depend on how you take the reading. I you stick the hydrometer into the beer at the top, then I assume any freshly pitched yeast in there will make a difference. If you take it from the tap immediately after pitching, then I can't see the yeast will make any difference as it is all at the top.

If you stick the hydrometer into the beer at the top, then I assume any freshly pitched yeast in there will make a difference.
Don't do this.

Don't do this.

I wasn't suggesting this for a minute, just saying if someone DID do that then the OG reading would probably be incorrect.

I always take some from the tap (before pitching) and test in a little tube, that way I can have a taste as well...and no, I don't put it back into the FV.

What ive been doing is make my brew, when i have the desired water level i sprinkle the yeast on top when its the right temp then give it a really good stir seal the tank and put water in the air lock then take a reading with my hydrometer with my brew out of the tap. So have all my readings been wrong.

Cheers Hopper

Yeast or no yeast, it shouldn't make any difference. Unless you leave it for many hours, they aren't even going to be active yet (assuming you are sprinkling in dried yeast). Making sure the wort is mixed well before taking a reading will be much more important to ensure an accurate reading.

Back