Og Reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppysbarandgrill

Reaction score
Hey to all,

This is what puzzles me. I have brewed about 20 different beers,ciders and all and im confused as to when i take the og reading. I dont use coopers blends but they say in writing to take a reading before pitching the yeast and from what ive heard this is the norm i think. I have written to them and they have told me it makes no differance if i take the og reaing after i pitch the yeast. My lhbs chap says the same to take the reading after i pitch yeast. Does it really matter and if so why.

Cheers Hopper

not really required if it's a tried and true recipe but generally I will take 3 readings.

OG reading just to make sure I hit my numbers and have got it written down

1 SG reading to know that its fermenting according to plan (say day 3)

1 FG reading to make sure it's done.

generally and broadly speaking... sometimes less if Im lazy, sometimes more if Im curious

"1 FG reading to make sure it's done."

Only 1 FG reading?

I do 2-3 usually a day or two apart. That way I know for certain that fermentation has stopped.

Before or after the yeast is added shouldn't matter, unless you're adding a large amount of liquid along with the yeast, Like a whole ~1L starter for example.

Only 1 FG reading?

I do 2-3 usually a day or two apart. That way I know for certain that fermentation has stopped.

Yep that's right, usually just the one... My brews get 5 days to a week conditioning time at raised temps once FG has been reached (within a point or so of expected FG) so if it's going to drop another point or so there is plenty of time for it to do so without worry.

:icon_cheers:

Back