Og - Fg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelbrau

Reaction score
About 13 days ago, i put a brew down, it was a Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale, with 500g Dextrose and 500G Amber Dried Malt Extract.

I had it between 18-20c but one night we got a really cold snap, and the usually stable temp room dropped to around 15 (i have a thermometer next to it that gives me the past 12 hours).
I was worried it had stalled, so i took a reading and got 1020, knowing this wasn't done, i searched here, and found some similar topics, followed some instructions and got her fermenting again! keeping it at the same temps 18-20, there was visible fermentation happening so i just let it do its thing, fast forward to today, i took a reading and got 1010.

My original reading was 1040, is 1010 a reasonable finishing gravity? I gave it a sniff and took a taste, smelled like beer and tasted like beer, i will test her again tomorrow, but i don't see any visible fermentation and its cleared a little bit to my eyes.

This isn't a bottle brew, this one was planned to be kegged for the SWMBO's birthday on the weekend (my keezer isn't done, so were having it at her parents house, and im taking the keg to her dads setup, (he also has a brew ready for it, and i've got my wheat beer bottled and ready to chill too). If its not ready, that's fine, but i thought i would check here.

Cheers!

At 1.010 I would say it is about done can you see it beginning to clear from the top. If you can get it in the fridge to cold condition and aid in floccing the yeast. I think if you keg it will still be a bit green at the weekend.

At 1.010 I would say it is about done can you see it beginning to clear from the top. If you can get it in the fridge to cold condition and aid in floccing the yeast. I think if you keg it will still be a bit green at the weekend.

Yeah, I can get it pretty cold without even refrigerating.. Below 10 easy, it's totally clear on top, and it is noticeably clearing at tap level, so I'm going to leave it till thursday and see how it is :)

1010 seems good for those ingredients.

Leaving it till Thursday will help condition it anyway.

1.040 t0 1.010 is a 30 point drop.
That's 75% Apparent Attenuation.
Sounds good to me.

Follow manticle's advice about leaving it for a while longer, it will only do good things for your beer.

1.040 t0 1.010 is a 30 point drop.
That's 75% Apparent Attenuation.
Sounds good to me.

Follow manticle's advice about leaving it for a while longer, it will only do good things for your beer.

Yeah, I left the wheat beer for 2 weeks after it was ready, once I have my beers out of my fridge and into my keezer I can use that for fermenting etc
Cheers for the input! :)

Latest posts

Back