Og 1.096?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Browne

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have just brewed a Coopers English Bitter. Added 800g light powdered malt and steeped 100g crystal and 100g Carared. Added 15g Fuggles and boiled the malt and hops lightly for 10mins.
Took a reading from the same hydrometer I've been using for 12 months.
Reading showed 1.096. Seems massive??
I washed the tube and hydrometer and took another reading which was the same.

Any ideas???

Cheers Matt

I'll assume it's been made to a volume somewhere between 20l-23l. The likely cause is the ingredients haven't been evenly mixed.

Matt

Sounds way too high. What temp did you take your OG reading at? If you don't already have it, download brewmate and correct the OG reading using the temp calibration tool, although the chances are that you took the reading too hot which means that you'd have underestimated the OG, not over...

Assuming a 23 litre batch and 1.7kg of the coopers liquid malt your brew should have come out at about 1.038.

Give brewmate a go...

Hope this helps

Cheers
Daniel

try the hydro in tap water...is it reading right,

other than that, see above, not mixed properly or a heap of gunk coming through the tap when taking your sample.

+1 pretty much impossible to get that SG from your ingredients must be lack of proper mixing and all the thickness sinking down the bottom of your fv

Thanks guys!! I've just stirred the crap out of it and get 1.044.
I can get a good nights sleep now

Cheers Matt

Back