Off the scale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBrew

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers! I have just put down a Mangrove Jack IPA. When I took a sample to get my OG the reading was off the scale. Followed the instructions and add 1.5kg of Pale Ale DME as per brewshop advice. It’s bubbling away but should that happen? Thanks in advance for any help and comments
IMG_3348.jpg

Yes
Your hydrometer has a pretty small range (1.040 max) most go a lot further (1.100ish is common). Looks like your OG is around 1.050-1.055 which isn't exactly rocket fuel.
If you are planning on making beers with alcohol content much over 5% ABV you might need a new hydrometer.
The one you have is really good for a nice accurate FG (what is called a Terminal Gravity hydrometer), I have a couple that only go to 5 Plato `(1.020 SG) and they are really long (double normal) but very precise with fine divisions.
Mark

Give the hydrometer a few twirls to shake off any CO2 bubbles stuck to the sides (makes it float a little higher). Also good idea to wait for the beer to de-gas before taking a reading.

Latest posts

Back