Off taste possible infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterbrew

Reaction score
I brewed a Black Rock dry lager using dextrose and thought I'd try adding the stee-pac straight in the fermenter. Apart from a really high IG which was probably a false reading, all was good. After a week added an unsure weight of tetnang hops that I got from a brewery and froze. Admittedly I didn't really separate the cones from the buds properly as it was my first time brewing with actual hops. It's been 4 weeks and it has a very strong plastic kind of taste and doesn't smell very good or taste great at all.
Is this a tip job? Possible infection?

I brewed a Black Rock dry lager using dextrose and thought I'd try adding the stee-pac straight in the fermenter. Apart from a really high IG which was probably a false reading, all was good. After a week added an unsure weight of tetnang hops that I got from a brewery and froze. Admittedly I didn't really separate the cones from the buds properly as it was my first time brewing with actual hops. It's been 4 weeks and it has a very strong plastic kind of taste and doesn't smell very good or taste great at all.
Is this a tip job? Possible infection?
Sounds like a phenolic adhesive plastic type off flavour descriptor to me either infection from poor cleaning/sanitation or yeast stress.

Sounds like a phenolic adhesive plastic type off flavour descriptor to me either infection from poor cleaning/sanitation or yeast stress.
I suspected from what I have read it was an infection. Although thought maybe with adding the stee pac directly could have caused it

Latest posts

Back