Off taste possible infection?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Peterbrew

Reaction score
I brewed a Black Rock dry lager using dextrose and thought I'd try adding the stee-pac straight in the fermenter. Apart from a really high IG which was probably a false reading, all was good. After a week added an unsure weight of tetnang hops that I got from a brewery and froze. Admittedly I didn't really separate the cones from the buds properly as it was my first time brewing with actual hops. It's been 4 weeks and it has a very strong plastic kind of taste and doesn't smell very good or taste great at all.
Is this a tip job? Possible infection?

Ben Davies

Reaction score
I brewed a Black Rock dry lager using dextrose and thought I'd try adding the stee-pac straight in the fermenter. Apart from a really high IG which was probably a false reading, all was good. After a week added an unsure weight of tetnang hops that I got from a brewery and froze. Admittedly I didn't really separate the cones from the buds properly as it was my first time brewing with actual hops. It's been 4 weeks and it has a very strong plastic kind of taste and doesn't smell very good or taste great at all.
Is this a tip job? Possible infection?
Sounds like a phenolic adhesive plastic type off flavour descriptor to me either infection from poor cleaning/sanitation or yeast stress.

Peterbrew

Reaction score
Sounds like a phenolic adhesive plastic type off flavour descriptor to me either infection from poor cleaning/sanitation or yeast stress.
I suspected from what I have read it was an infection. Although thought maybe with adding the stee pac directly could have caused it

Ben Davies

Reaction score
I suspected from what I have read it was an infection. Although thought maybe with adding the stee pac directly could have caused it
The Stee Pac? Are these steeping hops or malt?
How's the beer taste as it warms up?

Latest posts