Off Flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

Reaction score
Ok. I'm sitting here trying to work out what this off flavour is. After 6 pints its not getting easier.

It could be described as portlike or even slightly medicinal? Any ideas.

here's the recipe

Irish Red - Damian's

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.62
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.45
Anticipated EBC: 32.2
Anticipated IBU: 30.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
89.0 5.00 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
10.7 0.60 kg. JWM Dark Crystal Australia 1.036 220
0.4 0.02 kg. JWM Roast Barley Australia 1.036 1400

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
12.00 g. Challenger Pellet 7.00 11.0 60 min.
12.00 g. Target Pellet 9.00 14.2 60 min.
20.00 g. Northern Brewer Pellet 10.10 5.3 10 min.

Yeast
-----

Medicinal could be chlorine, eg a small residue from cleaning fermenter or bottles.

Port like or sherry like/

Jovial Monk

wedge

what was the mash temp and how long.
Also, how old/conditioned is the beer.

I am wondering if you might be tasting some tanin.
If so, just wait another 4-6 weeks and the tanin flavour should disipate - if taht is what it is.

I'll probably back JM here, medicinal is usually chlorine from bleach. I got stung with this one the first time I used bleach to sterilize. I though I rinsed well (which defeats the purpose of sanitizing in my opinion) and still got chlorine flavours.

I find Challenger can lend a strangish flavour as well, have you used them before?

JD

Wedge
I can sympathise with you on the med. taste, the 2 mexican beers I've made (different ingredients for each) have both had an odd taste. The first brew seemed to be every second bottle - not all of 'em but the last one all tasted the same SO no more MEXICAN for me.
Might have to try a chilly beer though.
The Chlorine theory is interesting guys, any other suggestions????

cheers nm

Just a thought. Have you used dark crystal before and know what it tastes like? 600 g will add quite a raisiny plummy almost spicy flavour that might be described as portlike.

There are a number of things that could lead to a medicinal taste, but it mostly comes down to excess production of phenols.

Chlorine has already been suggested and this happens by the chlorine combing with malt phenols to form a class of compounds called chlorophenols, which have a pronounced medicinal aroma.

Or it could be a wort spoiling orgaism, such as a bacteria or wild yeast, which has a propensity to develop loads of phenols.

Or it could be the fermentation temp. Too high a temp could lead to producing too many phenols.

Cheers
MAH

MAH
In my case I can count out the brewing temp variation - everything is done at 21c constant. Just strange that it's only the Mex mix as I've used several other similar brews with no probs.

GL no dark crystal in mine.

Cheers nm

metters said:
MAH
In my case I can count out the brewing temp variation - everything is done at 21c constant. Just strange that it's only the Mex mix as I've used several other similar brews with no probs.

GL no dark crystal in mine.

Cheers nm
I vote for either chlorine or wild-yeast as the cause of medicinal flavours.
BTW 21 degree C is too warm. Aim for 18-20.
Just my $0.02c

Metters
Mexican kits usually come with a packet of enzyme which allows the yeasties to eat just about all the malt and dry out the beer. If you used that then maybe the slight flavour could have been in other brews but was just easier to spot in a Mexican?

being the king of beers that i cant descibe the weird taste it may ...shock..horror be an infection of sorts.certainly hope not.
ive had a few undescribable tastes of late..hard to describe but am pretty happy its one of two things.
my liquid yeast is a bit long in the tooth.
my wort chiller required a really good clean.probably not the cause but i believe one can never be to sure.i scrubbed the shit outa it.

the hard part is working out the cause.

my cure was to go back over everything with a fine tooth comb.
cleanliness
sanitation
brew methods
yeasts
temps etc
still cant nail the exact cause but will be using a fresh batch of liquid yeasts soon which will dicount this one.

cheers
big d

It quite possibly could be an infection. This brew was spectacular in that i over-pitched the yeast and it completely fermented out in less than 48 hours. I expect this to be a major reason of the flavours. I mashed as normal. Use safale yeast and fermented at 20ish degrees.

Chlorine i very rarely use, only when i run out of idophor. But i think i could have used it about that time.

Thanks for the advice guys

wedge
how old is this brew?
i have read of brews with unusual flavours being stashed away for quite some time to later being tried and becoming really great brews.
i personally dont wait this long but one day..... :rolleyes:

likewise Big D. One day when i grow up........

This baby has only been in CC for 2 weeks. Very young yes..... But i was thirsty, the boys where over and the showdown was on the talking box.......

Patience is obviously a virtue i dont really have.

Back