Off Flavour in last 3 kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaypes

It is, a nice!
Reaction score
Hi All

The last 3 kits i have brewed all seem to have the same off flavour. Not exactly sure what it is but it definately tastes like crap homebrew

The first 2 kits (both coopers creveza) i changed the sugars, fermenter and yeast. The last one was a black rock ipa with LME and Us05.

They all have the off flavour

The only thing that is common to all is;

Soaking bottles and fermenter in PSR, and rinsed thoroughly
Phosphoric Acid solution for sanitising
Filling fermenter with water from the garden hose

I am buggered what it might be?

Is your fermenter properly sealed? I had a problem recently with the seal having perished so air got in. That gives an off sort of flavour.

Yes properly sealed. One of the fermenters i used was brand new

Failing any sort of description of the flavour on which to base any guesses...
jaypes said:
Filling fermenter with water from the garden hose
If this is new to your process then it could easily be the culprit. Water out of a garden hose generally tastes like a garden hose - especially on sunny days.

Unfiltered water would also most likely contain of some level of chlorine which is not something you want to be tasting in beer.

Garden hose would be the first thing I'd get rid of. Have a drink out of the hose and see how it tastes. It's not a flavour you would want in your beer.

The hose water does not really have a "hose" taste but i will try filtered water in the next one

I cant really describe the flavour kind of a metallic/twang/solvent. My palate is not that refined to pick it clearly

Might get my LHBS to sample it

jaypes said:
I cant really describe the flavour kind of a metallic/twang/solvent.
What's the use by date on the cans of goop?

What temperature are you fermenting at?

Cans all in date by ages

Fermenting at 18 degrees in my fridge (stc1000)

Metallic / solvent are fairly dissimilar tastes. "Metallic" could probably be explained by running your water through a garden hose. "Solvent" though ... you mean, like nail polish? It could be the chlorine in the unfiltered water.

I don't envy you. I use rain water for all my beer and I boil the whole lot when making kits. I add lots of hops and I am unable to taste anything but hops. :p

jaypes said:
Hi All

The last 3 kits i have brewed all seem to have the same off flavour. Not exactly sure what it is but it definately tastes like crap homebrew
Jaypes,

Correct me please if I'm not reading this right...but are you saying your last 3 brews have an off flavour...meaning you've done some brews before that, that tasted ok? Or is this your first ever 3 brews?

Ive done 4 kits to date. 3 of them have this off flavour. The very first one turned out great surprisingly

jaypes said:
Ive done 4 kits to date. 3 of them have this off flavour. The very first one turned out great surprisingly
id say its kit twang best, thing you can do if you are using kits is get the freshest you can get.

Perhaps check out extract brewing with a small hop boil. Twang is in the can.

jaypes said:
The hose water does not really have a "hose" taste but i will try filtered water in the next one

I cant really describe the flavour kind of a metallic/twang/solvent. My palate is not that refined to pick it clearly

Might get my LHBS to sample it
Drinking from most garden hoses (PVC) puts you at risk of a nice dose of lead. If you want to use a hose, just make sure it's a food grade plastic.

jaypes said:
So is there anything fundamentally different between brew 1 and the next three?

He said he uses stc 1000 so temp control isn't a problem. I'd say is the downside to brewing with cans, I went straight to biab and never looked back, as others have said have a look into extract and maybe steer away from k&k

Yep. Get ye to BIAB. I reckon some people are more sensitive to kit twang. Maybe give an all extract brew a go first. But almost as easy to do a stove top BIAB.

Back