Off Flavour In Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmole

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I kegged my version of Dr. Smurto's Golden Ale last night only for my wife to try some and comment that it didn't taste anything like the last version. Much to my surprise she was right and after checking my brew notes I realised that I'd added about half as much of my 60 minute hop addition as I should have.

At the time I thought this would be an easy fix and took half a litre of beer out of the keg and boiled it with 10g of Amarillo in a hop sock for 60 minutes. I then poured the liquid into the keg, chilled and gassed.

When I tried the beer again at lunch time today I was disappointed to find that there was a definite off flavour that wasn't present before I added the additional hop water. It is hard to describe what the flavour is but it is similar to bitter hoppy flavour that you would expect... only bad.

Any help you can offer me as to what this off flavour might be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Woodmole

can you really re-boil post fermented beer ? i would have thought using water would have been ok but the beer ?

can you really re-boil post fermented beer ? i would have thought using water would have been ok but the beer ?

I'm with Maheel. Boiled beer can't taste very nice put back in the keg :/

Is there any saving this beer?

I only keg a small portion of my beers, but I have blended beers with great success in the past (but blending at drinking time...pouring from separate bottles into the glass). It would be infinitely easier to blend with kegs (and I know plenty of people do blend, or at least have dreg-kegs)...but the blending I have done in the past has been to adjust bitterness or to try different flavours - not sure if it will work to change an 'off' flavour into an 'interesting' one or to mask it etc. Useless post from me, but good luck.

You could try and see if aging it a little while might help with it. Another wise just swallow your pride and drink the beer, think of it as a lesson :)

Try cleaning your tap first.. sounds dumb but its buggered me up more then once.. cause im lazy

Back