Oetiker Clamps & Tool

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilS

Reaction score
Following on from a previous thread where oetiker clamps were mentioned, I am interested to know if these are worth using compared to the other available clamps?

I have seen a few around and am thinking about buying the Oetiker tool at a later time.

How many members actually own one of these and are they any good?

They are good, give a far superior seal to worm drive clamps & do not cut into the lines

Downside, getting them off is a *******

At work, we just throw the fittings away. The big Australian was deep pockets

Hiya Beerpig

Will a pair of Nail Pliers do an effective job when crimping up or is the Oetiker tool a requirement??

Thanks in advance

I am a big fan of "the right tool for right job"

Haven't used nail pliers, but I think you would risk cutting the ring

Cheers

As mentioned in the other thread, I use really blunt sidecutters.

The correct tool is either the Oetiker crimper or a purposely-dulled pair of pincers...same thing ;)

PZ.

Sounds like these are a must have for the "tool" enthusiast :rolleyes:

They seem expensive, but once I work out which sizes I need, I'll probably buy in packs of 100. Although come to think of it....how many does one really need :blink:

I wonder if I can claim tax on the Oetiker tool. I guess I can use them for electrical work :ph34r:

Read above Phil...just buy a suitably sized new pair of pincers...claim on tax and grind the f*ckers blunt :D

PZ.

Many thanks guys

Understand the "right tool for the job", however I may try a compromise here.

Will try adapting an old pair of nail pliers gently :D with a file, get some clips & try a few test crimps.

Phil I'm sure an Oetiker crimp tool would look smart in this sparky's tool kit also ;)

hahaha I have a few spare blunt pliers that have small chunks blown out of them due to live electrical wiring :angry:

Sparky - let us know how you go with the "Sparky clamp tool" :p

PhilS said:
hahaha I have a few spare blunt pliers that have small chunks blown out of them due to live electrical wiring :angry:

LOL, yesaccidental plasma cuttingsometimes even accidental arc welding :lol:

PZ.

This may be a dummarse question

Why cant you use stainless hose clamps

I believe this has already been covered...if you mean screw-up (worm drive) clamps.

This thread is an off-shoot of another that goes into more detail.

I wish in my drunken state I could even remember what it was called :party:

PZ.

sintax69 said:
This may be a dummarse question

Why cant you use stainless hose clamps
[post="91811"][/post]​

Yes you can use worm drive clamps , that's what I use.
I have had the same ones for around 15 years ! and they are still fine.

As far as Oetiker clamps go , cheap alternative to proper clamps.

Batz

Guys, I think you are over-complicating these clamps. Just use the flat end of a normal pair of pliers to crimp them.

As Batz says they are just a cheap and cheerful single-use clamp, don't get carried away buying special tools for them!

Hose_clamp.JPGThese are the stainless steel clamps that I use. One very good point that these clamps have over others is the fact that they are reusable.
Never posted a pic before so here goes.....

hmmmkay, now I'm confused :unsure: I thought that Oetiker clamps were the bees knees?

I am now interested in which others to use, both through price & clamp

Obviously there are others around, but what is the general consensus on these hose clamps? now that my apetite is wet :beer:

I doubt I speak for everyone, but the ones like Lindsay posted are probably the best IMO. They just need a pair of pliers to clip them on and they can be unclipped with a screwdriver.

Adjustable hose clamps (eg Jubilee clips) are strong and reusable, but they can be hard to find in small sizes and they bite the hose a bit.

The crimp type originally mentioned are cheap and can be fitted with a normal pair of pliers. They can be removed if necessary by gently squeezing the two crimped bits together (with pliers) and using a small screwdriver to widen the gap, but it's a pain and you wouldn't want to do it very often.

They'll all create a seal, the issue is how often you plan to pull them apart.

Thanks Wortgames, any idea of what these other clamps are called? I am definately in the market for a "few" different sizes.

ps cant wait for the finished conical fermenters :p

Hi Phil, I don't know what their real name is, sorry! I'm sure if you went somewhere like Pirtek or Enzed they would have a bunch of options though.

Conicals are coming along, but painfully slowly. Planning a couple of evening sessions this week which will hopefully nut out some more details.

Cheers,
WG

Latest posts

Back