Odd Starter Question ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I just made a starter for wlp 833, and i boiled some dry yeast as a nutrient for the starter ( i dont normally do this ). I boiled for 10 mins, then cooled and pitched. Anyway, it took 2 days to do anything, and while it is fermenting, it doesnt have that sulphur smell like other lagers, in fact it smells like the dry yeast. I dont believe the dry yeast is fermenting the starter, because when i shake it up, the dry yeast is still granulated, so im pretty sure the yeast that is fermenting the starter is the 833, but how do i know??. Would the dry yeast be still alive?? Could it be?? i think it would be dead but am not sure now.

Can anyone ease my paranoid mind??? hahah

We need to clarify a few things.

How big was the starter?

How much of the yeast pack did you boil up and add to the starter?

Too much nutrient can be toxic to your yeast. The usual amount that people use is one packet of 5 gms of dried yeast, boiled and cooled, added to one standard 23 litre batch of beer. For a 2 litre starter, scale the amount of yeast you use as nutrients.

You say the dried yeast is granulated still. I always found that when I boiled a pack of yeast up as nutrient, it dissolved straight away. No granulation visible in the starter.

The dried yeast is very very dead after boiling for 10 minutes.

It was a 3 litre starter with a whole 11g safale packet!! ooops!!. Maybe a bit much methinks !!. As long as the dry sh*t is dead i'll be happy, as it has almost finished fermenting, which is good, as i will be using it in a dunkel tomorrow. Fingers crossed anyway!!

Pitched the yeast yesterday arvo. Checked this morning, brew is at 12c with a good 2 inches krausen, and has that lovely ( hahaha ) sulphur smell. Happy days.

Latest posts

Back