Och aye the noo!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreadMurderer

Reaction score
Hello folks!

Posted a wee bit on here recently but thought it best to introduce myself. From Scotland I've just spent 6 months living in Beijing and I'm heading to Melbourne (north) next week armed with a working travel visa. I have Melbournite friends who are sorting me out with a roof. Back home I've brewed All Grain for over 6 months using my cobbled together 3 vessel setup. Looking to get back into brewing as soon as possible so will be using this forum frequently.

About sums it up...

Hopefully see some of you in the flesh for a pint. :)

Dan

I have a wall you could borrow to go with that roof...I'm sure someone else can donate the other three.

Welcome...and great name btw.

Dan

There'll be a few of us around keen to catch up for a pint I'm sure.

Whereabouts in the North exactly?

@manticle - I'll be in Moonee Ponds (all ready got my eyes on the new brew club.... brewing? around those parts)

@toper01 - Oh I wish I had some Irn Bru! I found it here in Beijing but it was the sugar free diet yuk so I avoided tainting it's memories.

Good bottle shop in moonee ponds - prince wine store on albion street.

Also cnr hope st and melville road in Brunswick west (close) is an unassuming bottlo/asian supermarket with an unlikely selection of decent beer and cider. At least there was 2 years ago when I lived nearby - rochefort 10 for $9, duvel longnecks for 14, etc.

Me and yob will organise a pint drinking session with you at the great northern or temple or the alehouse or somesuch. Close enough for you to cab or bus back to MP and decent beer in all cases.

Cheers manticle that would be grand! :)

I've been collating a list (with help form folk on here) as to where to park my arse for a pint or grab a bottle for home. Looking forward to it.

BreadMurderer said:
@toper01 - Oh I wish I had some Irn Bru! I found it here in Beijing but it was the sugar free diet yuk so I avoided tainting it's memories.
My local IGA sells Irn Bru, nrever tried it though...

Ducatiboy stu said:
Mmmm....Scotish Ales....yum
My 70/ is ready to drink, I'll bottle some for you if you make it down for the next CRABs meeting

Hello, I am also from Scotland. Miss the beers there, that is why I started to brew here. I am down in Tasmania.
I am only doing partial mash just now but looking to go all grain this year (need some funds!)
Orkney Dark Island was one of my favourites, but they were all basically good. ...even the *cough* English beers! lol

Do you have any clone recipes?

Hey mate, welcome. Good to see Tassie filling up with more one headed people (wait for LB to snap back! :D ).

You can get onto AG with minimal funds - especially as you're in the other half of Tassie and actually have Big W down there. I had to grab two pots from there when I was down in Hobart one time. If you want a cheap way to have a go, look in my signature for the 2 pot stovetop method. Minimal equipment outlay required.

The HBS on Liverpool street will see you find for the moment, until the next Tassie bulk buy. There's also a number of AG brewers down there.

Lagerbomb loves his English beers, so he should be good for a recipe or two.

BreadMurderer said:
@manticle - I'll be in Moonee Ponds (all ready got my eyes on the new brew club.... brewing? around those parts)

It could be in Woolworths, note that in Australia Woolworths is nothing to do with the old FW Woolworth overseas, it's a supermarket chain similar to Tesco.

They have a small UK section next to the Mexican and Asian stuff and I can get :

Birds Custard Powder
weetAbix (not Weetbix)
Alpen
Foxs Glacier Mints
Penguins
Double Decker Bars
and I'm pretty sure I've seen Irn Bru.

They have Irn Bru at my local Coles too, hard to miss on the shelves with its radioactive glow.

Haha. Thanks for the warm welcome folks.

@dibby33 - Orkney Dark Island IS MY FAVOURITE, like Numero Uno. Not only that the brewery is run by family! [Note: I didn't know this when my love for Dark Island bloomed] Also I don't have any clone recipes that's something I'll need to touch on here, a guy I know had some Brew Dog one's and I was looking for a Dark Island one too. I'll check again soon enough.

Great info about UK food, Irn Bru, etc. I all ready have a list in my head what I want to devour when I arrive.

@Birbie G - love the Oor Willie avatar. ;)

Oh and I'll be posting soon about help getting kit etc for my first brew. :)

Whit a wonderful an' refreshin' bevvy.'

irn bru.jpg

Best hangover cure in the world that I found. That and a roll with blackpudding, bacon, egg and brown sauce :)

Latest posts

Back