Oats To Base Malt Ratio

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPython

Reaction score
I wanted to try my hand at a kit and bits Oatmeal Stout and doing a search it seems the ratio is 2 Base Malt to 1 Oats. Though it also depends on base malt as well. I wanted to get some Powells Ale Malt (since it's cheap) but would I need more of it because it could be apparently less enzyme something something?

Use Galaxy... Powells is cheap for a reason...

Chuck in a couple hundred grams of Roasted Barley and your set. ;)

If using oats for an oatmeal stout, 10% of the total grist is pretty much standard.

You have a couple of different angles to consider.

As Duff said, the usual amount of oats in a full mash is 10% of the grist. With most grists around 5 kg, this means 500 gms of oats.

Then, you have to worry about having enough enzymes in the mash to convert the oats. I would suggest 4 x the amount of oats.

This would give a recipe of 2 kg base grain, 500 gms rolled oats plus however much chocolate or roast.

Also, be careful with the sparge. Oats are well known to create glue. If you have rice hulls, use them. This is why most brewers limit them to 10% of the grist. I am not sure how a partial mash sparge with 500 gms oats is going to run. You may be better to limit yourself to 200-300 gms oats.

I was planning 2 Stout Kits and some crystal. I thought oats would be a good addition but by the sounds of it, I don't think oats wouldn't impart too much flavour at 300 grams.

Thanks anyway.

You say you wanted to use 2x stout kits? Is this a double batch or a toucan brew? Normally all I add to my toucan stout is a kilo of LDME to balance it a bit better.

If you want to do this mash I would suggest you use Galaxy malt in at least a 2:1 ratio with Rolled Oats, if you do this you will certainly need a good hand full of rice hulls as well so you don't get a stuck lauter/sparge.

I use 300g Rolled Oats in my stout recipe, but for a toucan addition you could probably get away with 500g and be alright.

Yeah it's a toucan brew with some bits, oat seemed like a nice addition just to smoothen it out.

Latest posts

Back