Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
put my allgrain oatmeal stout together yesterday.
tastes awesome.

here's the recipe.i don't ussually post recipes that i have'nt yet drunk the finished product.but this ones gunna be a killer iam sure.

double batch

1 kg oatmeal
700 g roast barley
180 g choc
180 g black
900 60l crystal
8.2 pale ale malt

50 g chinnook 60 mins, roughly 45-50 ibus

mashed 68c 1.5 hours
boiled for 90 mins
1084 irish ale.

i don't know what the oats add as far as points.i calculated them the same as special at 75% 0f 386.
i also allowed for less efficency just to be on the save side.better too high than too low.

i was going for 1.060 o.g at 70% efficency. hoping to get it close to 1.055 at not too much above 40 litres
anyway ended up with 1.058 in about 40 litres.the boil came to 35 litres at 1.075 in the fermentor.just added an extra 5 litres plus 2 litres of yeast starter.so at 42 plus litres its o.g 1.054.perfect.

used uncle toby's quick oats.all the oats you get at the supermarket say may contain traces of nuts etc.oh well i just hoped for consistency and hoped i didn't get a box with more than the ussually traces.

uncle_toby001.jpg

I'm drinking an Oatmeal Stout I brewed a while back too.
Fantastic beer.
Here is my recipe.
I used Home Brand Rolled Oats.

Beers,
Doc

Doc's Oatmeal Stout

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

16-C Stout, Oatmeal Stout

Min OG: 1.035 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 50
Min Clr: 35 Max Clr: 90 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.40 Wort Size (L): 23.40
Total Grain (kg): 5.07
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.39
Anticipated SRM: 29.2
Anticipated IBU: 37.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 30.19 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.036 SG 8.91 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
86.3 4.38 kg. Pale Ale Malt (2-row) Australia 1.037 2
5.1 0.26 kg. Carafa Chocolate Malt Germany 1.030 525
2.5 0.13 kg. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
6.1 0.31 kg. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
60.00 g. CB Goldings Pellet 4.00 37.1 90 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1084 Irish Ale

Water Profile
-------------

Profile:
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 0.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 0.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 0.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 0.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 0.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 0.0 ppm

pH: 0.00

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 5.07
Water Qts: 16.89 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 15.98 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.15 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 66 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 73 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 78 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume L: 19.37 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

cool
i'll see how this one comes up. as too wether next time, i don't use any roast barley and go all roast malt.
is that brew very chocolate like, as in a porter?

i was sort of using guinness as my reference but wanted it bigger smoother and tastier.more of a craft brew.so it would have to be 50 ibus.
i wanted to stick to using the same amount of roast barley you would for guinness.then adding some more choc and black on top.then of course oats instead of barley.

I added the crystal based on some stuff iv'e read about some american brew pub oatmeal stouts.i didn't want it too sweet but i thought for that extra full on stout it should be in there.

might have to get my sparkler out in 4 weeks.my bet is it'll pour a wicked stout head anyway.

Well, since you're showing me yours, I'll show you mine! This one's a kit-based partial mash that gives you one of the richest, creamy stouts you'll ever make:

1kg Pale Malt
1.7kg Can of Coopers Stout
1 kg Dark Liquid Malt
250g Brown Sugar
100g Black Strap Molasses
50g Cracked Roasted Chocolate Grain
50g Cracked Roasted Black Barley
350g Flaked (or rolled) Oats
30g Super Alpha Hop Pellets (Bittering)
14g Goldings Hop Pellets (Aroma)
2 teaspoons Gypsum
1 tsp Irish Moss
1L Starter of Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast
1 heaped Cup light dry malt extract for bulk priming

It's fairly bitter, because that's how I like them, so if you want something more to the Irish style, then back off the Super Alpha to about 20g.

Cheers - Snow

good one snow.there got to be fairly bitter.to work i reckon.
what is the a.a% of super alpha iam guessing 14% or so.so yours would be 50 ibus like mine.

i don't think anyone i know will drink mine.most of my friends won't even drink a beer because its black or dark.not even coopers dark ale.i don't know whats the go.
its strange they'll say i don't like dark beer.oh have you ever drunk any? hmmm. no, but when i was a kid i drank some of my grandmothers stout.and i was as sick as a dog.
you idiot i say.and pour them a wicked darkie and they'll drink them allnite.
i'd say i'll be enjoying all this oatmeal stout myself though.and they'll all laugh saying iam drinking sump oil.
but really i'll be the one laughing.

anyone else done a oatmeal stout?

From memory the Super Alpha was around 12%. It's not overly bitter, but I think next time it would benefit from FWHing.

jazman
next time i have a porter on i'll pm you.once you try it you'll deffintly make one.
one of the best beers i make.its unreal.

Guys, does anyone have a copy of "Clone Brews" (the book) ?

I'm looking for a copy of a Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout clone.

I tried this beer last night and it was absolutely fantastic. I want to try to brew a similar sweet styled silky smooth stout.

I think it may be in my CAMRA brew Eurpoean Beers book.
Will check tonight.

Beers,
Doc

Here is the recipe for Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout from the "Brew Classic European Beers at Home" book.

You will notice this is very similar to the reipce I posted above as I used this as my base recipe.

For 23 Litres.

4.38 kg Pale
0.260 kg Chocolate
0.125 kg Black
0.310 kg Flaked Oats

25gr Challenger (Start of Boil)
40gr Fuggles (Start of Boil)

90 min boil

66Deg Mash 90 minutes
30 EBU
155 EBC

OG 1048 (4.7% by vol, 3.7% by weight)

Beers,
Doc

Cheers Doc, you're a champ :)

I'll scale that up to 30L, and use 500g pale with the oatmeal for a mash. I'll substitute the rest of the pale malt for light LME.

I dont have any challenger hops so I think I'll just use all fuggles :)

edit - Hmm, one thing, when I add that recipe to Beertools or Promash I get a much lighter colour than 155 EBC. More like 80. Should I up the chocolate quantity?

just following up and old thread.
my uncle tobys' breakfast stout was unreal.
clean as a whistle and more on the dry side rather than sweet which i wanted.
it was a very easy drinking stout to you could drink it all nite.
it was easily the best stout i have ever drunk, bar none.
i'll do this again soon for sure maybe the only real difference is a bit more chinnook at the start.

but the next stout will possibly be a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout type ie. no roast barley i'll stick with chinnook for it though and more oats then the clone recipe calls for.

those challangers are my new favourite hop though.
mmmm challanger they have great flavour and aroma also.

slainte

Might be an idea to use a cereal mash for the oats, tends to destroy the fats that otherwise will destroy any head on the stout

Jovial Monk

JM, what do you mean by cereal mash?

Thanks,
Wreck.

a cereal mash started in america years ago with corn a typical example is a classic american pilsner(CAP).

anyway you start two mashs at the same time.
the main one and the cereal one which you put in all the starchy cereals such as corn, rice and oats etc with 10% malted barley. they both start at a lower temp and rested for a while then the cereal one you bring to the boil and boil for awhile then add back to the main mash to reach main rest temp of 66c or whatever.

JM's post is quite a home brew store guy blanket statement.
I would like some more detials also monk. like, is it at all needed for flaked cereals as they are processed already. Anyway i say this because the flaked versions of corn, rice,barley or wheat etc don't seem to need the cereal mash at all. But as you said in your post it is destroying the fats that you want to do with the cereal mash. So am i right in thinking the cereal mash needed for flaked oats in a stout is not for the traditional reasons of preparing the raw cereal for the mash. but to destroy alot of the things you don't want getting in?
I thought the idea of oatmeal stout was this velvety oily mouthfeel so yop don't want to destroy the fats..

What is your method of doing this with a stout with fully modified base malt etc and flaked oats? also raw oats ie, steel cut irish oats i would like to use in this.
I don't like the idea of resting the main mash at lower temps for to long so I would rather put the main mash on just before i am about to add the cereal mash but would you say resting at 40c with ale malt for twenty minutes is worth doing with the cereal mash or better of not doing?
all the info i have refers to years ago when germans moved to the states and where using under modified malts and raw cereals not flaked etc like flaked maize. they were using raw corn.
Iam using flaked oats but interested to hear your method for raw oats as well as flaked oats J.M.
I have a B.Y.O. issue which has a recipe with raw oats in the boil iam not touching that part of the recipe. This oatmeal stout here is the same recipe without the raw oats in the boil. which like i said iam not touching that its got to be wrong.
but maybe it is right after all i can't see that going to print if it was way off.
SO should we not be worried about the head and try to add the most fats from the oats as we can?
anyway please put some cereal mash info here J.M
or anyone else who really know anything about fine tuning using these adjuncts to perfection.

sorry long post and many questions to be answered.
but heres to the perfect oatmeal stout.

beers and porrige jayse

ps; sorry major edit on this post because i have a few questions about adjusting the traditional cereal mash to flaked oats and raw oats in a stout for the very best result. so please don't over generalise.

Kook'
Sorry I came in late on this thread hope I am not too late. Here is the recipe for samuel Smith's oatmeal stout from Clone Brews book

340 g british crystal malt 55L
230 g light crystal malt 20L
3.6 k Light DME
42 g East Kent Goldings 4.7 aa Bittering hop
14 g Fuggles flavour hop
14 g goldings flavour hop
1 tsp irish moss
28 g east kent goldings aroma hop
wyyeast 1084 irish ale

for all grain sub 5.3 k pale malt for the light dme
hope this helps
Andrew

OOOPS sorry Guys the above recipe is for Samuel Smiths winter welcome
I will post the oatmeal stout now.
Andrew

Here is the recipe fo Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout ala Clone brew's

===========
INGREDIENTS
===========
230 g flaked oats
230 g 55L British Crystal Malt
230 g British Chocolate Malt
85 g Roasted Barley
3.4Kg British 2-Row Pale Malt
57 g East Kent Goldings @4.25% AA (8.5 HBU) (Bittering Hop)
1 tsp Irish Moss
Wyeast's 1084 Irish Ale Yeast

==============
METHOD
==============

On a cookie sheet, spread out Flaked Oats. Place the sheet in the oven and heat to 163oC. Leave oats in the oven for 75 mins, turning the oats every 15 minutes. Put the oats with specialty grains and pale malt and mash at 65.5C for 90 mins. Boil bittering hops for 90 minutes. Add Irish moss in last 15 minutes.

Regards,
Andrew

Andrew.
What is the cooking the flaked oats dry in the oven process for?

JAYSE

Back