Oatmeal stout partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braumoasta

Reaction score
hey guys,

so i'm going to be doing my first partial tomorrow. I'm thinking of using the following (as it's what i have on hand):

Coopers stout tin
500g light dry extract
1kg Export Pilsner Malt
500g Rolled Oats
200g Crystal malt
100g Roasted Barley

Final volume will be 23 litres.

So I plan to mash grain in 5 litres of water at 67*C for one hour. The grain will be in a grain bag, when I take this out should i rinse it with some water to get the liquid out?
I plan on then boiling the wort for 1 hour, is this correct for a partial brew, even though I'm not adding any hops?

Lastly the rolled oats are just from a standard supermarket packet. Do I have to do anything to these before the mash, or do they just go straight in?

any help and suggestions would be appreciated!
Cheers!

Braumoasta said:
hey guys,

so i'm going to be doing my first partial tomorrow. I'm thinking of using the following (as it's what i have on hand):

Coopers stout tin
500g light dry extract
1kg Export Pilsner Malt
500g Rolled Oats
200g Crystal malt
100g Roasted Barley

Final volume will be 23 litres.

So I plan to mash grain in 5 litres of water at 67*C for one hour. The grain will be in a grain bag, when I take this out should i rinse it with some water to get the liquid out?
I plan on then boiling the wort for 1 hour, is this correct for a partial brew, even though I'm not adding any hops?

Lastly the rolled oats are just from a standard supermarket packet. Do I have to do anything to these before the mash, or do they just go straight in?

any help and suggestions would be appreciated!
Cheers!
Are your oats 'Quick Oats'? These don't require any additional work, just throw them in with the other malted grains. Other forms of oats might need to be boiled up beforehand to gelatinise them prior to adding them to the mash.

I'd also advise adding some more hops if you're going to be adding more malt. The stout tin is well balanced for its original use in a k'n'k brew, but adding 10 - 15 gm of either a neutral or earthy hop, EKG or Fuggles, added at the start of boil, will ensure your brew is not too sweet.

As far as I can tell the oats are just normal rolled oats, i think 'Quick Oats' are in tiny little pieces.

Would this really end up being more sweet that if I had just added a 1.5kg malt extract can in with the stout can instead of doing a mash? And I always imagined an oatmeal stout being a little more on the sweet side.

Rolled oats are pre-gelatinised so no pre-cooking is necessary, I like to "roast" them in the oven at 180C until they are smelling like oat cookies, adds flavour.

Raw oats require a cereal mash. The beersmith article is referring to raw oats
Rolled oats are not raw, they are passed through steamed rollers and are gelatinised in the process. Quick oats are rolled oats that have been chopped into small pieces for quicker cooking.

Latest posts

Back