Oatmeal Stout issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
RB is what makes a Stout.
RB and choc + %age of RB and Choc + the right mash temp for your OG + the right mash temp if using oats is what makes a stout. But they are pretty forgiving.

My Pillar of Stout

4.4 kg BB ale
350g Roast Barley
150g Caraffa II
150g Dark Choc
100g Black Patent malt.

50 IBu using POR

That would be a stout that has oats in it but not an 'oatmeal stout' by bjcp definitions.
Probably pretty tasty though.

Ducatiboy stu said:
And just add 7-10% oats to that.
thanks both of you for the advice, just one last question.. What would be your ideal mash schedule?

Wilkens

Loving the input of DS and BB in here. Good to get both perspectives on this one. MMM Oatmeal Stout.

RelaxedBrewer said:
That would be a stout that has oats in it but not an 'oatmeal stout' by bjcp definitions.
Probably pretty tasty though.
From here http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php#1c

*Ingredients:* Pale, caramel and dark roasted malts and grains. Oatmeal (5-10%+) used to enhance fullness of body and complexity of flavor. Hops primarily for bittering. Ale yeast. Water source should have some carbonate hardness.

Bjcp is often bollocks though. Main pertinent point in this thread is that large amounts of roast in a beer = high fg.

A good Stout has a nice bitterness to it.

Black Patent also gives a nice ash edge as well.

But be carefull...Black Patent can easly overtake and ruin a good beer.

I found that 100g in 5kg is enough.

Wilkensone said:
thanks both of you for the advice, just one last question.. What would be your ideal mash schedule?

Wilkens
How high / how low and how long would you normally go for sweet and dry stu?

Ha. I'm brewing the same recipe tomorrow. Will be toasting the oats tonight.

Ducatiboy stu said:
From here http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php#1c

*Ingredients:* Pale, caramel and dark roasted malts and grains. Oatmeal (5-10%+) used to enhance fullness of body and complexity of flavor. Hops primarily for bittering. Ale yeast. Water source should have some carbonate hardness.
it also has an IBU range of 25-40.

But if you are not entering a comp, stuff bjcp and brew what you like.

Cheers everyone for the awesome input, I've learnt heaps and its helped out a couple others along the way!

I was just trying the BCS version as my first stout to brew as a control brew of sorts..

Hopefully it will turn out well, I'll let you know the progress :beer:

Back