Oatmeal Ale ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Reaction score
Have just had a "WHOA - Wet Hopped Oatmeal Ale" Limited Release from Grand Ridge Brewery.
It was very different and interesting and appealed to me with it's "oatmeal" aroma and mouthfeel.
Thought I'd look for an extract recipe for Oatmeal Ales and couldn't find anything.
Plenty of darker ales like Stout's with oatmeal, but the Grand Ridge one is a Golden ale and pretty light.
Wanted something like that.
Anyone got any recipes ?
If not I might give a Dr Smurto's Golden Ale a bit of toasted oatmeal and see how it goes (5%?)
Cheers,
Chuckie

Oats will need to be mashed with base malt that has surplus diastatic power and may need a cereal mash (can't remember) - unless you use simpsons golden naked oats which are a malted crystal oat. These can be steeped and if you lightly toast them in the oven, you will get a lovely toasty, oatmeal flavour.

CraftBrewer have a 500 gram dried oat malt extract don't they. I was thinking about getting some for a small porter I did recently. I'll see how it turns out and maybe get some for another batch to compare. You probably only need 50 to 100 grams depending on the percent of oats its made from.

manticle said:
Oats will need to be mashed with base malt that has surplus diastatic power and may need a cereal mash (can't remember) - unless you use simpsons golden naked oats which are a malted crystal oat. These can be steeped and if you lightly toast them in the oven, you will get a lovely toasty, oatmeal flavour.
I believe you can use quick oats without a cereal mash, unsure how this would go. Surely can't beat throwing it in with a mash however.

This is a kit thread though so op may not be able (or not know if they are able) to mash.

You're right about quick oats not needing cereal mash but they still need base malt enzymes.

Thanks guys,
Seems like I'll give the Dr Smurto's Golden Ale a go by adding some of the recommended Simpsons golden naked oats.
Maybe 100grams of the oats steeped ?
Cheers,
Chuckie

Back