Oat steeping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubbsy

Reaction score
I got 2 Woolworths Lager cans last week to try and I "brewed" them up on Sunday. I used both cans but added 250g DIY Crystal Malt and 250g of Rolled Oats. For the adjunct grains I put them in a BIAB and soaked them at 65ºC for 30 minutes, then added the cans to this wort and topped up to 23L before doing a 30 minute boil. My OG was a little lower than I expected so added 200g of LDME before the boil. I only realised last night that I probably missed my target because there was no diastatic power in the crystal malt and oats and should have also added 200-300g of a pale malt. I know that's not an issue for the crystal malt, but will I have got anything worthwhile from the oats?

Only if you want hazy beer. About all you will get is some Glucans and starches. To get more yes you need some enzymes and you need to mash (hold for some time at mashing temperatures), the amounts you are talking about you could do in a large thermos flask or small (6 pack) esky, just remember to preheat the esky and to adjust your temperature 10-15 minutes after you mash in, with small amounts of malt its always hard to get the right temp, even if you do all the calculations. The amount of heat taken up by the equipment matters more and more as the batch gets smaller.
Mark

Back