Oak Smoked Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
My brother has recently purchased a new food smoker, and was using it today to smoke a couple butterflied chickens for lunch....... and oh lord was it good. After lunch we cleaned out the smoker ,turned it back on and broke out the bag of oak chips.

OakSmokedmalt1972x1296.jpg

I went prepared and took a SS mesh tray (that i used to make the Iron bark smoked malt many many years ago) and a kilo of TF floor malted Marius Otter. Soaked the malt in cold water for 10 min and drained it on the tray.

OakSmokedmalt2972x1296.jpg

OakSmokedmalt31296x972.jpg

The oak chips were red wine barrels chipped up, they had a red edge. Once they started smoking, the smell was amazing. We smoked it at about 80 to 90 deg for 2 hours.

OakSmokedmalt4972x1296.jpg

Once it was done, and cooled, the malt had a sweet, smokey smell, but not strong. It was a bit caramel, hints of sourdough with a sweet slightly fruity edge....from the red wine i suspect. I cant wait to use it!.

But...............

What to brew.

Open to suggestions :)

Looks good Tony, you can make a really good smoker out of an old roundy fridge.
You know what I mean, the ones that are steel inside and not plastic lined. You can find u/s ones about the place sometimes. My old man had one perhaps 40 years ago, he used earthenware pipes to move the smoke from a fire pit. He smoked fish, chickens and steaks sometimes for the barby, mate I still dream about that stuff.

Know what? I just scored an old roundy fridge, now earthenware dunny pipe?

batz

First thing I thougt of was an english brown or similar with a simple recipe of only a bit of EKG/styrians/challenger late and some med crystal for sweetness and colour. Leave alot of room for flavour and colour from the malt. Ferment on a fairly fruity english ale yeast.

Second thought was a roggenbier with the smoked malt.

I'd avoid too much bitterness until you've tried a beer that has been brewed with it.

I remember that batch of Ironbark smoked malt....I remember the beer you made from it.....WOW was one word to describe it :lol:

I have decided not to make a black beer with it....... not going to do a porter or stout. The smell of the malt was so sweet and fruity smoked, it needs something to help any smoke character shine, but balance it as well.

I have been thinking an amber ale of some sort, low hops and meduim bitterness.

A brown ale is a good idea...... i was thinking a hybrid Scottish 70/- but a brown ale with dark crystal sounds good.

keep the ideas coming!

Something a bit outrageous could be fun :)

I remember that batch of Ironbark smoked malt....I remember the beer you made from it.....WOW was one word to describe it :lol:

Haha and i remember it qualified for the AABC because there were only 3 smoked beers in the NSW state comp :p

I think the judges were a bit sore at me.... with comments like ham hocks, cigar butts and Jack Daniels....... like licking an ashtray.

It was like a bushfire in a glass........ and i liked it!

This wont be as strong

Ooooo what about a mild?

Scotch ale with it. I used smoke in mine and it's was fkn beautiful. Killer recipe. It's in what r u brewing 3 thread. smoken fat scotch ale.

Otherwise pm wolfman as I tried an amberish smoke ale of his and it was liquid bacon. Great beer.
Edit. I also ran a smoked gyle off the brew. Yum yum yum.

Have you had the Schlenkerla Eiche? It is like an 8% amber bock with oak smoke and caramel sweetness.

Haha, had a feeling you'd post this up here...

Mate, i'd go with a KISS sort of approach. Let the malt be the hero.
Be tempted mashing high for a short time with a neutral ale malt, short boil to avoid boiling off too much volitile aromas from the malt itself, low bitterness with a very neutral hop, say 15-20 IBU, with a neutral ale yeast fermented on the cool side.
Why waste such a unique product by overcomplicating a recipe!?

Changed my mind!

I was going to brew a ported today and decided to toss in the oaked malt

Oak Smoked porter

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 34.00 Wort Size (L): 34.00
Total Grain (kg): 7.65
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.45
Anticipated EBC: 54.7
Anticipated IBU: 40.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
65.4 5.00 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 5
15.7 1.20 kg. Oak Smoked Malt Australia 1.036 0
5.2 0.40 kg. Special Roast America 1.036 100
5.2 0.40 kg. TF Brown Malt UK 1.033 160
6.5 0.50 kg. TF Pale Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 550
2.0 0.15 kg. Weyermann Choc Wheat Germany 1.035 1100

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.40 40.8 75 min.

Yeast
-----

I just pitched some 1469 on this, and the starter that i made, using the last dribble running's from the mash tasted wonderful.

A very meaty hearty smoke character...... very different from commercial smoked malts.

I think its going to be good :)

Any update on this Tony? It sounds absolutely delicious.

Just saw this on another site Tony, I know you have already brewed with your Smoked malt but I thought you might find this of interest.

Grätzer
Grätzer is a Polish-Germanic pre-Reinheitsgebot style of golden to copper colored ale. The distinctive character comes from at least 50% oak wood smoked wheat malt with a percentage of barley malt optional. The overall balance is a balanced and sessionably low to medium assertively oak-smoky malt emphasized beer. It has a low to medium low hop bitterness; none or very low European noble hop flavor and aroma. A Kölsch-like ale fermentation and aging process lends a low degree of crisp and ester fruitiness Low to medium low body. Neither diacetyl nor sweet corn-like DMS (dimethylsulfide) should be perceived.
Original Gravity (ºPlato) 1.048-1.056 (12-14 ºPlato)
Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.008-1.016 (2-4 ºPlato)
Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.2-4.3% (4 -5.4%)
Bitterness (IBU) 15-25
Color SRM (EBC) 6-12 (12-24 EBC)

Grätzer is now officially a style. At least according to the Brewers' Association.

Unfortunately, they seem to have let Charlie Papazian write the specs:

Let's go through what they've got wrong. Or maybe I should do it the other way around and say what they've got right. Unfortunately that's impossible, because none of it is correct.

So here's what's wrong:

Gravity. The classic Grätzer gravity is 7.8º Plato. Not 12º to 14º. Who researched that? Oh, silly me. I assumed they'd have done some research.

Ingredients. It should be 100% smoked wheat malt.

Flavour. Low to medium hop bitterness? Every old description mention the hop character of Grätzer. It was nmoted for being a hoppy beer. "low to medium assertively oak-smoky malt emphasized beer". What the does that even mean?

Fermentation. "A Kölsch-like ale fermentation and aging process"? They've just made that up. Absolutely no evidence that's how Grätzer was brewed. And what about the specific Grätzer yeast strain? No mention of that anywhere in these guidelines.

That is what sparked my interest. Does anyone know if any retailers in Australia stock the newish Weyermann Oak Smoked Wheat malt?

I'm interested in brewing a Gratzer now. 3.5% smoked lawnmower beer? Sounds delicious.

Hilarious how wrong the Brewers Association got it.

It was really good actually.

Very different character to the usual rauchmalz. It had a great hearty meaty smoke pressence with a slight sweet kind of tank to it.

I still have a 2nd cube of it in a safe spot :)

Back