Oak Chips Usage ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
About to brew a Big Island IPA and the recipe says 28g Oak Chips (dry @ ferment).
I take it that this is not "dry hop @ 0mins" type addition, more that it is "dry @ 3days" ?
Am i correct in this ?
Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Guys,
About to brew a Big Island IPA and the recipe says 28g Oak Chips (dry @ ferment).
I take it that this is not "dry hop @ 0mins" type addition, more that it is "dry @ 3days" ?
Am i correct in this ?
Cheers,
Andrew

wait until primary fermentation is finsihed (or a couple of points away from finishing). Add your oak and age appropriately.

If you are kegging my recommendation is to get yourself a jumbo tea-ball (you can get them from asian grocers) fill it to the brim with oak and suspend it in a keg with some sanitised floss. Simply remove once its at the approprate level of oakiness (Usually a month IMO.)

wait until primary fermentation is finsihed (or a couple of points away from finishing). Add your oak and age appropriately.

If you are kegging my recommendation is to get yourself a jumbo tea-ball (you can get them from asian grocers) fill it to the brim with oak and suspend it in a keg with some sanitised floss. Simply remove once its at the approprate level of oakiness (Usually a month IMO.)

Thanks Dude,
Much appreciated. I'm going straight from the primary into bottles. No keg here yet ;)
I'm guessing then that I can just chuck them in after about 10 days in the primary then.
And then give it another 10 days to age.
Sound right?
Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks Dude,
Much appreciated. I'm going straight from the primary into bottles. No keg here yet ;)
I'm guessing then that I can just chuck them in after about 10 days in the primary then.
And then give it another 10 days to age.
Sound right?
Cheers,
Andrew

My only experience with oak in beer was a mate who chucked the oak chips into the primary at pitching time on an extract kit... or did he boil them up with the extract + hops

Anyway, it was hellishly over-oaked :)

Like mouth-puckering.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to rack to a secondary, and use the oak there. Then when you think its oaked enough, bottle from secondary

My only experience with oak in beer was a mate who chucked the oak chips into the primary at pitching time on an extract kit... or did he boil them up with the extract + hops

Anyway, it was hellishly over-oaked :)

Like mouth-puckering.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to rack to a secondary, and use the oak there. Then when you think its oaked enough, bottle from secondary

That sounds like a better idea, thanks :-D
I'll wait till I have a fermenter spare and do the secondary thing.
Cheers,
Andrew

Back