Oak Chips Usage ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm just about to use some oak chips for the first time and am wondering -
They're pretty fine (toasted american oak), do they just sink to the trub or sit on top of the brew.
ie do i need to bother bagging them or just chuck em in.
I normally just bottle from the primary and not that fussed generally with clarity.
Thanks,
Andrew :icon_drunk:

They float. Being made out of wood and all :)

I soak them in spirits (vodka if you want neutral flavour, whisky for a Scotch ale or smoky porter) for a week, then tip the juice into the fermenter and add the chips inside a bag with a spoon or two to weigh them down.

They float. Being made out of wood and all :)

I soak them in spirits (vodka if you want neutral flavour, whisky for a Scotch ale or smoky porter) for a week, then tip the juice into the fermenter and add the chips inside a bag with a spoon or two to weigh them down.
they float for a while then sink, saying that it takes about 3 months and i dont think you want to go that long with chips as they tend to get a bit harsh after a couple of weeks.

I say bag + bring to boil in a saucepan with lid on and enough water to cover the bulk. Let cool with lid on and tip the lot into fermenter.

Oak is a complicated topic. I am continually surprised with the different things you can get out of it by changing the different parameters like amount, contact time, toast level (complicated in and of itself) and variety.

Latest posts

Back