Oak Barrel Chips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Cee

Reaction score
This is a beer & other question. I bought 100g of bourbon barrel chips on the weekend, with the idea to soak them in a solution of vinegar & habaneros for a week or two. The inspiration is from the way Tabasco is aged in barrels for a year prior to bottling.

Question is, how many grams per litre should I be using ?

I plan to use the rest in a stout, rack onto some chips and leave to soak for a week or two. What's the rate of this ?

My understanding is that they are intended for distillers to add an authentic taste to their bourbon, so it's going to go in high alcohol solution. For beer or chilli vinegar, should I soak them with a campden tablet overnight in the even of any bacteria that would survive a dunking (I believe the pH of the vinegar will inhibit any growth, but not sure on the stout).

I can't get past the bullshit ! Americans talking for minutes on end about shooting, Im sure will eventually lead to beer, but I will have killed myself before then.

Sorry that my reply is not useful to the original question but you have enlightened me to the fact that my favourite sauce is aged!
Who'd have thunk it?

It sure is, aged for a couple of years I believe.

But I don't think it's in old liqour barrels.

In the US, you can actually get tabasco barrel chips for the barbie

Back