Nz North Island Breweries & Good Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainbrewer

Reaction score
I am off to the North Island of New Zealand in a fortnight, spending 23 days over there vsiting relo's and touring around.

Any suggestions as to where I should visit and what I should be drinking there.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

captainbrewer

Have you bothered seaching the site first?

Sinkas

Had a quick search prior to posting, noticed that one posting was on South Island and the other had info from 2006 with one post in 2008. Just thought that there may have been other establishments opened since postings in 2008.

Did not mean to get any one off side by starting a new post, perhaps I should have tacked this onto an already created post, will do next time.

Anyway, I am still of to NZ and looking forward to visiting the Malt House in Wellington.

Cheers

Don't drink DB. Don't drink Lion Red ( gang bear ), don't drink export anything. Don't drink nothing that's not imported.

Don't visit south Auckland unless you have a death wish.

Do take your gumboots.

Do take a Eskimo vest, wool undies and anything warm you have.

Before you cry bohoo - average temp in AK is 4 deg at night and 12~16 tops at day, Raining the best part of last 2 months.

Good luck !

Must get to the Hallertau just North of Auckland. Great beer there.

The Malthouse is definitely worth a visit. Heaps of great beer on tap and even more in bottles.

Beer from the supermarkets is pretty good. I temporarily forget the name of the big chain over there, but they have a place in most sizable towns with a great range of beer and imports from Europe/UK much cheaper than here. eg Hoegaarden Wit 4 packs, NZ$10, Bishops Finger NZ$4 etc.

Beer from the supermarkets is pretty good. I temporarily forget the name of the big chain over there, but they have a place in most sizable towns with a great range of beer and imports from Europe/UK much cheaper than here. eg Hoegaarden Wit 4 packs, NZ$10, Bishops Finger NZ$4 etc.

I think that was New World PoMo

Come to my house B) When are you coming over mate? How long are you in Auckland? Bring me some home brew stuff :p

Auckland : Galbraiths Ale house (micropub for british ales on hand pump)
Hallertau (another micropub which makes about 4 different beers and has other guest beers)
The Cock and Bull (micropub which ive heard is really good but im yet to go)

Wellington : Definately the Malthouse, its awesome!!!
Regional Wines and Spirits, this place you can fill your own riggers with national and imported craft beers, plus you can buy soooooo many different types of beers...

For buying beers at the shops, any really big New World should have a decent selection, especially the one in Auckland city, I can spend hours there... Youll also find beer is cheaper here cos our tax isnt as high. (yet)

And there are heaps of awesome NZ craft beers you can buy at some liquor shops, Emersons, Green Man, Rennaisance, I could keep going... Just try to stay away from the mega swill beers, theyre all really really crap! This includes Speights, Tui, Export anthing, lion anything, DB, double brown, etc etc... Pretty much anything that you can buy in a 6 or 12 pack, if its in a single bottle, its probably half decent...

Back