NW Coast Tas - another new brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanTas

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm Dean and from Ulverstone Tas.

I've just started home brewing, drinking the coopers "lager" kit, have a black rock cider kit on, and have just bought a second fermentor and put on a coopers pale ale, with some bits.

I used to brew as a when I was 17 or 18, but due to a lack of money and knowledge turned out plenty of crap. Gave it all away when I moved out of home, and now I'm just a little older, picked up a Coopers kit at Kmart for almost nothing due to it missing the Hydrometer and bottling Valve. A quick email to Coopers and the friendly guys sent them out for nix!

About me, I'm married, three kids, and I might be an electrician, but perhaps I should keep that quiet!

Hi Dean

Welcome to the forum. Good to see another brewer on the NW coast. Got any queries I am sure we should be able to help out.

cheers

Ian

Welcome Dean,
There are a quite a few brewers along the coast who don't mind sharing a beer or two. As Ian says, If you have any questions or need a hand don't be afraid to ask.

Cheers
Chris

Welcome aboard Dean. Theres a few people around here now, so dont be afraid to ask questions. We are always keen to help new brewers, plus there is plenty of information on this site.
If your anything like the rest of us around here, you will be brewing all grai within a year or so.
Cheers
David

A big welcome from Hobart. There is no North/South divide here!

Next stop all grain BIAB - you know you want to!!

Huge amount of info in this forum from novices and experts alike.

Enjoy, Cheers,

I'm back on AHB from my new digs in NW Tassie - Shearwater!

Now I've got to see how to acquire replacement equipment. It appears as though the Hobart LHBS (thanks to the guy at 7 sheds for that one) has reasonable grain and hop prices. Just getting hold of a 50-70L (preferably 70L or more) kettle.

The other thing slightly OT is - how the hell do you get access to produce here. I thought it'd be easy, but must be a locals only kind of thing.

And @OP - BIAB is the bomb - got more people brewing great beer quicker.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I'm back on AHB from my new digs in NW Tassie - Shearwater!

Now I've got to see how to acquire replacement equipment. It appears as though the Hobart LHBS (thanks to the guy at 7 sheds for that one) has reasonable grain and hop prices. Just getting hold of a 50-70L (preferably 70L or more) kettle.

The other thing slightly OT is - how the hell do you get access to produce here. I thought it'd be easy, but must be a locals only kind of thing.

And @OP - BIAB is the bomb - got more people brewing great beer quicker.
Keep your eyes peeled for bulk buys that pop up on here, they happen pretty regularly. For hops or spec grains I generally just do a 5kg express bag from Craftbrewer/G+G.

Tas sure beats QLD eh? I don't miss that place a bit......except for the German club.

Also Dean and Goomba, we've been nattering on about starting a informal group here in the NE that's had varying degrees of success (The consumption has been very successful). There's an AHB group http://aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/88-new-forum/ which we're waiting to be put up on the board properly, I think the idea would be for it to be a Tas specific rather than just the NE. There's also a google groups thing that is a massive pain in the ass to use but if you enjoy torturing yourself with its shithouse interface PM me your email address and I'll add you to it.

jlm said:
Tas sure beats QLD eh? I don't miss that place a bit......except for the German club.

Tas is a beautiful place, wherever you go.

I think I got used to the accessibility of Brisbane, that I miss. People here kinda already know you're not local and are a little stand-offish as a result.

However, the food I've bought (Veges, meat) is great, but I had assumed it would be cheaper, given how close we are to its source. I thought that we'd be cheaper for Tassie stuff that's not being shipped over the Strait and up the Coast.

I think, given that beer here is more expensive (no Dans - aargh), I'm definitely going to have to get brewing quickly. And the weather is perfect for doing an APA.

@jlm - where could I find a cheapish 40-70L (but more if possible) pot for a kettle. If you could point me to places to get a cheap 2nd hand esky as well - that would be the bomb. Fermenters - at least there's a bunnings in Lonnie for that, plus bucket in bucket lauter equipment.

If I can get brewing, we can get swapping.

Cheers,

Goomba

The only thing that springs to mind is Allgoods on Elizabeth st in Launceston. I've never been in there but have seen largeish pots in the window. May be worth a call to see if they can get something for you. Hitting up any scrap metal yards in your area for an old 18gal keg could be a go, I know a few people scoring them this way. Sadly most of them have been turned into BBQ's (eyes off the one in the smoking area at 7 Sheds......that's payment for some work I've been doing out there).
If you've got a burner I've got a 36L pot and a 36L round cooler with a braid manifold here that you could borrow to get you going until you get your own gear.
As for stand-offish locals.....Never really encountered it. I generally told most people straight up that I'd moved here from Bris and that always struck up a conversation. Self deprecating "Another ******* mainlander" talk always helps. Especially important in your local butcher/green grocer/booze dispensary. Also choking down a few pints of Boags Draught at the local, (and in my case, all up and down the West Tamar) certainly helps too. Shit, I found my current job that way.
Let me know if you want to borrow that gear.

I actually don't mind Boags Draught, and didn't in Brisbane either. Nice beer for cleansing the palate after lupulin thresholds are exceeded and I need a reset back to "normal".

Will give the self-deprecation a go (is that legal here?) :D

And once I get past the minister of war, finance and saying no that I'm going to brew quicker than I'd originally intended - I'll definitely grab that gear off you for a while. I know we're going into Lonnie at least once in march, but hopefully sooner.

ATM - it's looking cheaper to get a 70L pot in from craftbrewer (and filling it with ingredients), but I will try the local yards, tip shops and anything else that looks half decent. I get paid monthly, so we're living off savings for the moment, so any purchases are a bit harder to clear (but in this case, I get it).

You getting into smoking? I want to, and I would love to find a good meat wholesaler (that is actually wholesale prices). I found (but didn't visit - they were closed) one along the (I think) C708 road between our place and the highway (or one of those streets close by). Hoping I can find a farm or meat guy that I can get some good smoking meat from it.

Have a look at the classifieds in the examiner or the advocate on saturdays, there's sometimes farm gate prices for wholesale meat, but you'd be looking at buying a whole pig or similar so you'd need a chest freezer and the butchery skills that go along with it.
I'm 25k's north of Launceston, basically Exeter, and also work out at Railton 2 days a fortnight if that makes it easier to grab that gear.

Thanks heaps. Exeter is only marginally longer a trip from where we are (there's a back road nearby past the NP), so I'll definitely be in contact once the Minister has been informed and cabinet has given approval.

Thanks for the other stuff - Minister wants to buy a deep freeze for that very reason, but I wouldn't say I had the required (if any) butchering skills. But I could buy a whole animal, which is the plan (shopping has to be bigger and less frequent).

In regard to those butchering skills.....There's only one way to learn. I don't have them either, unless your talking about fish, rabbits or poultry.
I'm contemplating putting on a brewday in 2 weeks, I just have to work out a schedule for upcoming brews. I'll post something in the other thread I linked earlier when I have an idea.

Welcome aboard Goomba.
I get over to Shearwater often as we (The LagerBombs) have an onsite van at one of the parks. I quite often bring kegs over and set up a mini bar complete with Cobra tap. Your welcome to come and sample next time we are over there (its such a long way from Burnie to get there, all of 45 minutes).
As far as pots etc, I can help you out with a 3 ring burner with hose and regulator for a while if you want, as well as a 20 litre urn if that helps. I don't use fermenters, just ferment in my no chill cube, which works quite well. Cubes are about $25.00 in supercheap Devonport. You can buy pots from allgoods (which are also in Devonport) which is where I got my MT from. 50 litre stainless jobby from around $120. There is also a shop in Devonport called "pots and pans" I think, but may also go under the nam of Tas Food Machinery. They sell and can get you any pot you want. I purchased an 80 litre Aluminium pot from them for not a lot more than $100. But cant remember the exact price. Its the best cooking shop on the NW coast by a long way.
Shearwater is a little stand offish as compared to some other places in a Tassie - we have been going there for around 10 years, but as JLM said, just get amongst it and you will be welcomed. Maybe get up and join the bowls club in Port Sorrel, we always have a good time there (not implying anything at all here), and the Country Club has just expanded their tap beers as well.
Cheers
David
pm me if you are interested or I can help out in anyway.

Thanks all for your replies (and sorry @OP for hijacking).

I'm waiting on the net to be connected at home (everything here is so slow sometimes), so I'll only be able to reply ATM on Tues-Thurs (work days).

But again thanks heaps, this must be the Tassie hospitality I've heard so much about.

@Lagerbomb, what are the prices like for the Bowlo or Shearwater Country Club's menu?

@jlm - I'll PM you when I get a better idea of my comings and goings. I'll be out at 7 sheds again soon I reckon.

Any idea of where to get fresh hops from the farm? Or better off just ordering my 4 pounds from Niko or Yakima Valley Hops?

Back