Nutty tasting Brown ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricky Dicky

Reaction score
Just found this recipe on the interweb which apparently has a good nutty flavour and wondered if anyone could suggest what the "Special Roast" is as I can't find it at my local suppliers?

• 75% British Pale
  • 7.5% Victory
  • 5% Crystal 60
  • 5% Crystal 30
  • 5% Special Roast
  • 2.5% Roasted Barley
  • Hops: E.K. Goldings or similar (e.g. Fuggles)
  • Yeast: Something British, like WLP002 or WLP005 (if you want to go a little dryer)

Dingerman special B or Weyermann special W are the darkest caramel/crystal malts

Last edited:
Just found this recipe on the interweb which apparently has a good nutty flavour and wondered if anyone could suggest what the "Special Roast" is as I can't find it at my local suppliers?

• 75% British Pale
  • 7.5% Victory
  • 5% Crystal 60
  • 5% Crystal 30
  • 5% Special Roast
  • 2.5% Roasted Barley
  • Hops: E.K. Goldings or similar (e.g. Fuggles)
  • Yeast: Something British, like WLP002 or WLP005 (if you want to go a little dryer)
I used 9.1% brown malt and 2.1% chocolate malt in mine, no roasted barley or special roast.

It's a malt made by Briess. I actually have a few kg still knocking around at home (got it as cheap as chips when Full Pint were closing down a couple of years ago, it's still as good now as it was back then!).
When I was looking it up to learn what to use it for, there didn't really seem to be a specific substitute for it around. It is described as being a lot like biscuit or victory malt, but more intense.
The pale ale type beers that I have used it in have turned out extremely malty when I've used it between 5-10% - to the extent that I would even compare it favourably to the addition that melanoiden malt brings to a beer.

From my experience, I would sub it with a little bit of melanoiden type malt, and the rest with something like Gladfield supernova. Given that you've already got a million malts in the grain bill, I'd just do a direct sub for supernova or something equally as malty

Just started supping the NBA and its a very tasty drop on a winters night, little or no nuttyness to be honest but is well balanced IMO. It came out at 3.6% due to the FG being stubborn and couldn't get it below 1016 after an OG of 1043 (even after turning up the temp to 22c from 20c and giving it a stir. I also made a starter as the yeast was just out of date, maybe that's why it was stubborn?.) But anyway a really good quaffer.

Latest posts

Back