nutrient

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the wyeast website:

A blend of vitamins, minerals, inorganic nitrogen, organic nitrogen, zinc, phosphates and other trace elements that will benefit yeast growth and complete fermentation.

May have to do with concentrations of each of the components, but I'm just speculating.

I use the wyeast stuff and always have nice healthy ferments.

Dosage is always a bit iffy as it depends on so many factory - nutrients in the wort/must/whatever already, yeast health, phase of the moon, etc.

A lot of wine yeast nutrients have specified dosage rates for wine (duh) which has a different nutrient load to apple juice or beer wort.

Chuck some in. If you get a stuck ferment, chuck more in next time.

Cheers
Dave

Some nutrient brands are vitamins like thiamine, niacin, folic acid.

Bribie, I've made several full batches of apple blackcurrant cider. It's worth a try. Most (but not all) blackcurrant flavour and even colour either gets eaten or gets lost when racking as it sorta just falls out of suspension.

Adding 2 bottles to a full batch wouldn't do much, flavour-wise.

Many people use agricultural fertilisers, there is a very popular recipe out there (mum wash) that uses Miracle Grow.

This is for ferments that are going to be boiled and the steam collected though, not for those injested directly.

Stick to food grade products and you know you'll be safe. Use the fertilizer and you'll probably be safe.

Back