Nut Brown Ale..... I Think.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulielow

Reaction score
I was going to make an imperial stout but I just tasted my current stout after 3 months and its still full on so I'll leave that for next christmas.. anyway I'm going to have a go at what I believe to be a nut brown ale, the recipe is

1 can morgans caramalt LME
1 can morgans dark roasted LME
500g Light DME
23 L water
30g fuggles hops( 10@60,10@15,10@flame out
11g sachet US-05

I'm going to do my first boil with 10L water, bring to boil then add caramalt and dark roast.
Then boil for 10min and add DME and 10g hops, boil for 30min then add 10g hops, boil for another 30min then flame out and add last 10g hops. Cool in ice bath and add to primary along with 13L of cold water out the fridge. Shake the shite out of it add yeast and ferment for a month then bottle till next Oct-nov...

Hops seem too low and I'm not sure that much amount of dark roasted LME is going to give you a 'nut brown ale'.

Best Nut Brown Ive ever made is the ESB 3kg tin.
Added nothing except water and yeast.
Great beer!!!

Hops seem too low and I'm not sure that much amount of dark roasted LME is going to give you a 'nut brown ale'.

The two tins are 1.5kg each so shouldn't that be the equivalent of a kit tin?
The recipe I saw called for 15,10 and 10 for the hops so I thought id adjust the recipe don't
know why should I stick the original or go even higher?

Not too sure dude. If you're worried about style the best thing to do is play around with Ian's Excel Spreadsheet http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=802806 and see if you can get it within the style guidelines.

The only thing about the roast malt is brown ales aren't really supposed to have a 'roast' character (http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style11.php#1b) but I haven't used the product so I can't tell how 'roasty' it will be.

Thanks rina but I couldn't get the link to work.. I'll just give it a go and see what comes of it cheers

Also have a play around with the boil volume size on the spreadsheet, for a 10l boil at 1.040 you would need only 1.3kg of liquid malt extract. Add the rest of the liquid and dried malt extract at the end of the boil, after the flame out hops.

That's cool. You need to enable macros to get the spreadsheet to work or you can use beer calculus as well in future.

Also have a play around with the boil volume size on the spreadsheet, for a 10l boil at 1.040 you would need only 1.3kg of liquid malt extract. Add the rest of the liquid and dried malt extract at the end of the boil, after the flame out hops.

Ok I was just going to add the two tins when it came to the boil then dry malt after 10min. So would this be a bad idea?

To get the most out of the hops you should aim to boil in wort that has a gravity of approximately 1.040. One 1.5kg can in 10l will be slightly over but that should be okay, however both cans and the dried extract would be too high a gravity.

You could even do a boil of approx 5l with the 500g of dried extract, but smaller boil volumes also reduce efficiency of hop extraction.

So one can of the extract in 10l for the hop boil, then when done mix in the rest, put the lid on and leave to cool (I use the laundry tub with iced water).

Well you learn something new everyday thanks ploto...

Thanks to everyone who have helped me plan this brew, I've made some adjustments now the recipe is

1 can morgans caramalt LME
1 can morgans dark roasted LME
500g Light DME
300g roasted rolled oats
23 L water
50g fuggles hops( 20@60,20@15,10@flame out
11g sachet US-05

I'm going to do my first boil with 10L water, bring water to 68oC then steep oats for 30 mins.
bring to boil then add dark roast
Then boil for 10min and add 20g hops, boil for 30min then add 20g hops, boil for another 30min then flame out and add last 10g hops. Cool in ice bath and add to primary along with 13L of cold water out the fridge. Shake the shite out of it add yeast and ferment for a month then bottle till next Oct-nov...

Back