Nuking cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fendercaster

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else does this, i habe a few no chill cubes that have an amount of mold growth in them as they had lids put on and left for some time.
I habe just put boiling water in with a small amount of bleech. This destroyed all the nastys and i have fully rinsed about 3 times. Is this now ok to use or do y'all recommend something else.

When in doubt, buy new cubes. They cost bugger all from Bunnings (esp. compared with the cost of an infected batch)

Last edited:
Once cleaned with sodium percaebonate I store mine with some starsan inside. They stay nice and clean indefinitely.

Sodium percarbonate is the go, the pure stuff. My cubes are several years old now and as good as new. To renovate them maybe twice a year I put half a cup of pure perc in and fill with very hot water and leave overnight. If you can't get pure perc, use a cup and a half of a Napisan type product where the active ingredient is perc.

The two smaller 10L cubes in this shot are probably 7 or 8 years old. The big one is definitely from 2010.They have all had the dreaded mould-of-forgetfullness in them now and again when I inadvertently forgot to clean them after a brew.

60 min special bitter.jpg

Yes, I've still got the first cube I ever bought back in 2010 still in active service. Currently has a golden ale packed full of Styrian golding goodness in it.

wow 2010? i get cubes from work for free, they had sanitiser detergent for food processing equipment so i only have to rinse them and they're cleaned and sanitised. ive been using them for single use then throwing them on the pile. problem is the pile is growing quite large, maybe i'll build a raft or something.

true, i have thought about that. im in sw syd. if any one was desperate for a cube i would hook them up. theres always residue of the sanitiser/cleaner left in the bottom. its great for cleaning the brewery.

Remembering the bungs.......I nuke with caustic if needed, otherwise the perc soaking gives a good result.

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0919 - Copy.JPG

After every use I just rinse them out and put some water and sodium perc in, shake it all around and leave them. Occasionally when I walk past I will give them a quick shake again. Then for next brew I just empty them and hose them out and they're good to go. They can sit for months like that and never get mold in them.

Mine are probably coming up to 5 years now and still going strong.

wow 2010? i get cubes from work for free, they had sanitiser detergent for food processing equipment so i only have to rinse them and they're cleaned and sanitised. ive been using them for single use then throwing them on the pile. problem is the pile is growing quite large, maybe i'll build a raft or something.
Be careful that you do not use the wrong cube had one with liquid soap that top forever to clean out .The old cubes are good for storage just cut the tops off with a power saw .

I don't know why, but I cleaned a couple of my fermenters with a touch of bleach a little while ago, it worked but then I realised that bleach is harmful to yeast so even though you're not fermenting in the cubes I'd definitely make sure you've got all the bleach out so it doesn't get carried over. I don't use bleach anymore, just sodium perc and I also make sure I don't get lazy and leave stuff sitting around to go rancid - use it, clean it, store it.

Back