Nuked 1056?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDH

Reaction score
Hi All,

Brew day from hell trying to keg 3 batches and make 2 partials. Last task for the day, take ice bathed 6lt boil (approx 15 minutes), dump into the fermenter, top up (23lt) and pitch yeast. Thought I'd better get an OG so ran off into the hydrometer tube and dropped the hydrometer in...1.100! What the hell I thought, then realised the tube I ws holding was quite hot, 40 degrees to be exact. So how hot is too hot?

I've got the fermenter in the ferm chesty with the thing running flat chat, also dropped some ice cubes in to try and bring it down and assuming all I can do now is wait. I have some yeast nutriet I thought I could chuck in to see if the poor buggers can hold on but I'm not sure it will do any good. Have I wasted a smack pack?

On another note, the beer in question is a Cascadian Dark IPA, Beersmith 2 tells me 1065 OG but I found a calculator to temperature adjust my reading and it went up, how the hell did I get to 1100 with 3kg of DME and 1kg of spec grains! Checked the hyrdometer in pura tap water too.

Ha, of course I searched for over temp pitching but just read the recent post by old mate from Hobart. We'll see how it turns out

Probably wasn't totally mixed in and you got some concentrate in the tap that threw the reading off.

Always a trap for new players! And I thought the 40 degree pitch was embarrassing <_<

For no other reason than a bit of closure I just took a gravity reading (1020) and taster of the beer and it isn't as terrible as I expected. I think the dark grain being such a predominant part of this profile hides any nasties that may be in there. Mix that with a pretty rapid chill down to ferment temp and I may have got away with it. Not ideal but at least not a waste.

Back