Ntc Sensor Probe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshF

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've just received a NTC sensor from craftbrewer ( http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=955 ) after realising that my fermentation fridge (circular in shape) is probably too close to the actual fermenter to get an accurate reading.

It's not setup yet as i am still waiting for the STC-1000 to arrive, but just want it 100% setup for when it gets here.

Basically my question (due to lack of knowledge with probe thermometer things) is, the probe will be submerged in a few centimeters of the wort instead of the whole length of the probe. Is this sufficient to get an accurate reading of the wort temperature? I've already drilled a second hole in the lid of my fermenter so i'll be super pissed if it's not. I know most people tape the original sensor to the side of the fermenter with stubie holder material covering it but i was worried about it affecting the actual temperature due to its proximity to the fridge wall.

If you guys have any knowledge on this type of setup or can give some tips i'd be most appreciative.

cheers,
Josh

Beerfridge_1.JPG

NTC_Sensor_1.JPG

NTC_Sensor_2.JPG

Oh and the beer frige pic has my secondary fermenter shown, not the primary. It's a little fatter than the see-through plastic fermenter in the pic. I'm still stumped how i'm going to control the temperature of the secondary as i only have the one fridge and don't want to be changing the NTC probe back to the original sensor all the time :wacko:

I'd reckon you'll be fine. I'm guessing the sensor is in the tip, which will be submerged.

Although I would have drilled in the middle of the lid to be in the middle of the wort/beer. ;)

I hear ya, i drilled the hole and about 2.37 seconds later had one of those notorious "f*******ck" moments. At first i tried to make it symmetrical with the original hole for aesthetic purposes without paying the slightest bit of attention to the the technical reasons for putting it in the middle of the lid.
Oh well, shouldn't change the temp by much more than 0.0somethings of a degree :p

I would ferment in glass over plastic any day. stubbie holder between fridge and glass. she'll be right just set fridge 2 degrees lower.

I insulate my probe against the fermenter on the outside below the level of wort

Works fine for me

Hi Josh,

I have the same set-up as you and it works great.
The sensor in most probes of this kind is located in the tip, so as long as it's dipped a few cm into the wort you will be OK.

You just have to make you end up with at least 23L or so into fermenter.
Which isn't really an issue...more beer in the end :icon_cheers: .

Jake.

Even use it for cube fermentation...drilled through one of the lids, sealed with an old airlock grommet.
No dramas.

_DSC0213.jpg

thanks for the input fellas.

Jake is your probe just put through the airlock hole? For extra depth, i think i'll drill the fermenter lid to the same size as the thread on the probe. it's alot bigger but i figure i can get a tap/bathroom washer from bunnings to make it airtight after i screw it in. Then i'll have another cm or so into the wort. Plus at the moment the airlock sized hole doesnt look overly 'air tight'.

Had the exact same problem as yourself earlier this week, but don't worry the sensors in the tip. Mine is only submerged slightly but it reads the wort fine. I tested it with water before I put wort in there. Do it yourself if your unsure

thanks for the input fellas.

Jake is your probe just put through the airlock hole? For extra depth, i think i'll drill the fermenter lid to the same size as the thread on the probe. it's alot bigger but i figure i can get a tap/bathroom washer from bunnings to make it airtight after i screw it in. Then i'll have another cm or so into the wort. Plus at the moment the airlock sized hole doesnt look overly 'air tight'.

I drilled a second hole through the lid pretty much as you have in your original post.
The hole is a little bit larger, but it still seals fine with an airlock grommet around the probe.

You might struggle getting an airtight seal around the threaded portion.
But, airtight isnt really necessary anyway, you just won't get airlock bubbling during fermentation if the CO2 escapes elsewhere.
Have a crack and see how it goes.

Back