NSW State Comp 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work guys, that's some dedication!

Hope they didn't start you off on the RISs, Belgian Strongs and Barleywines!

how many entries did/do you guys have for the State ? up or down on last year?

good luck to all youse up there!

540 at the last count i heard. but there will be a final number of those judged today as well as hopefully results late tonight if not tomorrow.

Were you judging just some of the categories yesterday, or just working your way through all of them at once?

there was 2 sessions done yesterday with some of the bigger categories being judged across multiple tables.

It was a great effort by all the judges and stewards this weekend to get through the 547 entries (just slightly down from our Australian record 556 three years ago). Good standard of entries overall (and just to remember that anything over 60 points (30 per judge) is definitely a good beer) so tough competition for the top.

Congratulations to Andrew Freeman who is this year's Champion Brewer and David Tetley who wins Best of Show for his Russian Imperial Stout.

All those who placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd will be able to go on to the Nationals in Adelaide. More details on that later.

Full results are available on the results section of the competition site.

http://stusterbrewer.wixsite.com/chnsw2016

Thanks to all judges and stewards for making it an awesome event to compete in!!!

Hoping to help out next year.

Congratulations to all winners and place getters.

Cheers

Brilliant effort to all involved getting them all done, and results up the same night!
Thanks guys!

Thanks for what seems to have been a well run comp! And to everyone who pitched in and volunteered.

Happy to report I'll be representing at the nats again :)

Stoked that my Schwarzbier scored a 78 and placed 2nd! I brewed that one for the cricket team end of season trip. Good to know it wasn't just mate talk when they liked it, haha.

Sorry to the organisers for the withdrawal. Been pretty immobile with a knee injury all week.

Thanks to Stu and everyone involved. Massive effort to get through that many beers, and somehow have the results out on the Sunday night.

Thanks for all the hard work and effort by all concerned. Happy to see that most of my entries came "midfield" and looking forward to the score sheets for their usually constructive comments.

A big thanks to the organisers, judges and stewards. Sounds like a monumental effort all round. Really looking forward to the feedback.

Thanks all for your efforts! Sounds like two very long days. Stoked with my sours score, can't wait for the feedback.

Hopefully, I will have the time to put my hand up to steward next year. Would love to see how it all works.

Thanks to all concerned, Hope it want too much trouble drinking all that beer :)

Thanks to the brew shop for forwarding my entry along

Stoked to see I got such a high score, only a few points of best in show :(

So, being a comp virgin, do the score sheets get posted out, emailed, other?
When does this usually happen? (not... totally.... impatient, just curious.)

Many thanks to the judges and folks involved, I can't imagine what it must be like to have to drink such a huge quantity of beers and somehow judge them one after the other. Taste buds must get pretty hazy at the end of the day (much like one's vision and sense of well being).
This has probably been asked before, but how do the places get sorted? I note that in a few categories the top 3 are not the top 3 scorers, and certainly not in that order. I was this close to getting a placing in my first comp...

TheWiggman said:
Many thanks to the judges and folks involved, I can't imagine what it must be like to have to drink such a huge quantity of beers and somehow judge them one after the other. Taste buds must get pretty hazy at the end of the day (much like one's vision and sense of well being).
This has probably been asked before, but how do the places get sorted? I note that in a few categories the top 3 are not the top 3 scorers, and certainly not in that order. I was this close to getting a placing in my first comp...
most catagorys were across multiple tables due to the size of them. They then took the top 2 or 3 depending on the scores from each table and did a mini best of show. To determine the top places
So you may have gotten the highest score but not the 1st place if there was a better beer on the other table

A big thanks to the organisers, judges and stewards of this competition!

A woo-hoo for my RIS that took the 2nd place. Seems like whatever I've been doing to improve my brew over the course of the last three years (and comps) is paying back.

Codehopper said:
A woo-hoo for my RIS that took the 2nd place. Seems like whatever I've been doing to improve my brew over the course of the last three years (and comps) is paying back.
in general the standard has improved over the last 5 years. i think the lowest i gave out was a 25 and that was something that was just in the wrong catagory.
if anyone needs help translating my scribble please contact me. my email address is on the sheets as with all good judges.
i myself picked up a second in the sours.

Great effort getting the scores up Sunday night guys, top work. :super:

Pretty happy with my first outing in a comp getting all three beers above pass mark, looking forward to the scoring sheets for feedback.

A massive thanks to the organisers, judges and stewards, great stuff.

I must have really messed up with what my robust porter comprised of, looks like I might have placed last in the category, but thrilled overall with my scores for most of my entries and totally chuffed to take out the Strong Ale category with my Barleywine!

Back