Nsw Homebrew Competition 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray_Mills

The Old Man of Brew
Reaction score
Munting Ilog, Silang, Cavite, Philippines
Hi
The IBU's (Illawarra Brewers Union) with help from brewers in Bathurst, Newcastle, Canberra and Sydney have finally come up with dates for this year's Competition.
The competition will be judged over 2 days at The Five Islands Brewing Co in Wollongong.
The NSW Competition now has its own website thanks to those involved at the Australian Craftbrewers site.
Judging dates are complete as well as the closing dates for entries. We have a poster completed for all Homebrew shops in NSW to display. This will be emailed and posted to as many shops we can find.
The site is not completed yet as the entry forms, guidelines and conditions will be available soon.
The important part:
To run a competition of this size we need HELP. Stewards, Judges and general helpers. This competition can't be run by the half dozen of us in the back ground. So post us if you can help on the days.
We hope to contact as many people in the industry for sponsorship, without this there will be no competition, so if you know anyone in the industry. let us know, as all sponsors will be displayed on the website logo and all as sponsors.
This is the first competition in Australia to be registered with the Beer Judge Certification Program. This means all beers will be judged using the BJCP guidlines.
I will be posting more information as it comes to hand.
Get your beers ready.
The website http://nsw.craftbrewer.org/
Cheers
Ray Mills

"The competition and style guidlines will give you all the info you need to fill out the form and enter the beer correctly"

Ray
I can't seem to find this?

Hi all

Well the competition is getting close. As said before we need help on the days of judging. We need senior judges and assistant judges, assistant judjes are the guys and girls out there that know their beers and styles, have a good palate and want to give it a go :blink: .

We need stewards who can pour a beer and look after the judges table. (You can try the beers as well. :p )

We need general helpers to assist in the days work.

The Competition has had a huge response from the Homebrewing industry as well as the Micro brewers out there. To make it a success for the homebrewers of this state we need your help.

Those interested could you please contact me on [email protected] so I can work out the numbers on both days.

The site will be completed next week and I will inform all when the conditions and entry forms will be posted. Also we will have a poster that can be printed out. Give it to your local shop or a mate or two so they have details to enter the Competition. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Ray

Sounds like a good day indeed & nice and close to home too. :)

Ray_Mills said:
It will be a good TWO days Muga
Turn up and meet us all
Ray
[post="72638"][/post]​
If you could PM me some details I'll see if I can.
I'm no beer judge, I just love to drink it! :)

I can cook up a good BBQ providing I have an eski full of cold ones beside me. :)

hey all

Im trying to find an entry form for the NSW comp? can anyone help me out here?

also i noticed that the comp will be judged using the BJCP guide....how is this going to effect the nats, as they are not using the BJCP?

This competition is open to all brewers whatsoever, with the only restriction being that the entry must
have been fermented by them, in premises not licensed as a commercial brewery. While entries will be
accepted and judged from any state, territory or country, only residents of New South Wales, Australia
are eligible for the award of prizes.

Hi Ray,
Do I read the above correctly, being from Queensland I can enter the comp, pay my $7 per entry, possibly win all of my entered catagories, But I am NOT entitled to the prizes?

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
Hi Ray,
Do I read the above correctly, being from Queensland I can enter the comp, pay my $7 per entry, possibly win all of my entered catagories, But I am NOT entitled to the prizes?

Cheers
Andrew
[post="74385"][/post]​

If the case, not much of an enticement...

++++

On a similar vien - what's considered the most prestigious comp to enter, for a newbie on the comp scene?...

Ross,
I think the bathurst comp would be one of the better run and most popular, Last year I believe they had more entries than the National.

I've also heard from my LHBS that Bathurst is the best/ most prestigious comp.

Good to hear, coz I've done OK there on a couple of occasions.

One of the former Bathurst brewers, who lived in Newcastle for a while, really likes my weizen. Mmmmm, just as much as I do!

Seth out :p

hi ross
it was held this year on the 4th and 5th of march so should be around the same dates next year.pint of lager should be able to confirm next years dates if unchanged.
yep a great comp with good feed back and prizes.

cheers
big d

Sounds good - this years Qld state comp had a very poor set of catergories IMO - reckon most of my beers were out of spec to their guidelines - just have to see how they fair...

Hi
To Andrew and Ross,
I have contacted the organiser of the Queensland State competition and will have details when answered.
First this is a competiton for NSW brewers to enter and winners will qualify for the National competition held this year at South Austrlia.
Any brewers living outside NSW can enter but will not qualify for the National competition.
If you want to enter all your beers to be judged to the latest BJCP guidlines feel free. We will judge them and send you the feedback and score sheets for each beer.
As set in the rules only NSW brewers will win prizes and qualify for the Nationals.
Cheers
Ray

Ray_Mills said:
Hi
To Andrew and Ross,
I have contacted the organiser of the Queensland State competition and will have details when answered.
First this is a competiton for NSW brewers to enter and winners will qualify for the National competition held this year at South Austrlia.
Any brewers living outside NSW can enter but will not qualify for the National competition.
If you want to enter all your beers to be judged to the latest BJCP guidlines feel free. We will judge them and send you the feedback and score sheets for each beer.
As set in the rules only NSW brewers will win prizes and qualify for the Nationals.
Cheers
Ray
[post="74514"][/post]​

Well Ray,
It's your competition, and you can run it however you wish. Qualifying for the Nationals is fair enough, it is after all a State comp for qualification into the Nationals. However I do think it's a bit weak to take $7.00 entry fee from out of staters and not give them the benefit and glory of being able to hold up their first place prize to their family and friends! Out of curiosity if I win first place in the comp what happens to the prize?

Cheers
Andrew

Back